IC's interconnects and cabling.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Electric locomotive cable and elevator cable is very fine strand. Some SJ cable also.....motot lead wire is also like that..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ya ever do any welding Fish, welding cable looks like that also, that's what im guessing that is, or SJ....

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
I enjoy AK - there are a number of posters there that are quite knowledgeable. It's just a "bit" more regulated then here. :toothy6:

So what's up with the higher strand count for speaker wire?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
For speaker wires I don't know if it makes an audible difference, but more strands mean less breakage....

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I doubt it Laz, you don't move it a lot do you??
It's thin, so yes, it gets kicked around. I scored two partial spools of 18-gauge stranded at an estate sale for peanuts, so I may be making another set of speaker wires. It all seems to work fairly well, but I'm careful to keep speaker wires away from power wires.

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I like the fine strand stuff because its flexible. The thinner the wire, the higher the resistance too so you get into maximum current carrying ability. More of a thing with high current amplifiers, and it can actually screw with the damping factor. Off the top of my head I can't spit the damping factor formula back at you but small amounts of resistance really will mess with it.

handily, lots of small gauge wire = one big gauge wire. Nice way to cheat if you need more current handling than the existing wire will handle, but don't have fatter wire on hand.

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
some may agree and some may not i myself run very short interconects 0.5 of a mater and use 3 meter silver coated speaker cable and i did see improvements in having shorter speaker cable but i dont think interconnects lenght matters unless u start going up to 1.5meters this mind is my point of view

Last edited: