I have need of a USB WiFi adaptor and know nothing about them

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
The house I just moved into is remote enough that the service provider I was using in the BC Lower Mainland does not service the area. I just cancelled my service this morning. The home's owners are using a service called Penny Lane and internet conectivity is included in the rent. But to use my desktp PC, I need a WiFi adaptor that plugs in a USB port.

Due to the stay at home guidlines, any shop which would sell those things are temporarily closed so I was told to order one from amazon.ca.

My needs I think are minimal so I don't need top of the line but I notced while browsing the many pages of such devices, that a number of them have an antenna attached but a great many are without. Is that a must have?

The couple upstairs who own the home both have Apple iPads which are WiFi enabled so they themselves do not require a plug in adaptor. I can randomly select from an overly large number in the $25 to $35 range but which one? Are they by nature all going to withstand the march of time, or might they pack it in prematurely? Or have speed or interference issues?

I am currently using a laptop that has that ability but would really like returning to using my PC.

If any here have knowledge of such things, a recommendation for a make/model would be appreciated or likewise for any to be avoided. There was no employment waiting for me at this end so cost is a factor.

I look forward to any replies.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I have one from Seagate that worked well, but I think they’re all pretty much the same.

My Macs all have WiFi built in, I bought PCI WiFi cards for my PCs for cheap on ebay. The PCI cards won’t work in your laptop, of course, but if your main use is the desktop, the PCI cards work great.

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
That's encouraging. Seagate is a brand I recognize. And that antenna, any advantage?
Not necessarily. Depends on distance from the access point, if you’re far from the transmitter, go for the antenna version. If close, the antenna won’t hurt.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
You'd be best served getting a dual band wireless setup. I'd also recommend that you talk to whomever admins the Penny Lane service in the neighborhood to find out what their wireless transmitter is setup for and/or to obtain any 'poop sheet' or instructions that detail what they are actually broadcasting. This could influence your purchasing decision. But in lieu of that, a good dual band unit with an antenna will probably do you just fine - if they aren't doing anything super funky. It appears that they aren't since your neighbors can log-on simply with their iPads... but garnering any details is a good thing nonetheless.

I'd recommend this:
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-des...dp/B07P5PRK7J/ref=psdc_13983791_t3_B019SRBUNG

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I have one from Seagate that worked well, but I think they’re all pretty much the same.

My Macs all have WiFi built in, I bought PCI WiFi cards for my PCs for cheap on ebay. The PCI cards won’t work in your laptop, of course, but if your main use is the desktop, the PCI cards work great.

Curious what Seagate model you have Mark.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Try Newgate.ca once you settle on something. They have good pricing and service in my experience. Just note where they are shipping from- pay a buck more to get it shipped from in-country. Otherwise the best price might be coming direct from China.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Yesterday I received special dispensation from the lady of the house to leave so as to mail some business correpondence for her. I was to drive to a different town north of where I'd been where no computer store was open. Two blocks from the post office, I spotted a place (coincidentally called Phoenix Computers) and it was open.

Driven by need (I was impatient and wanted one NOW!!) I went in. All that were in stock were two "higher end" devices both at $49.99. A bit dismayed at the price, the shop owner and I bantered a bit about the shitty margins in retail computers and accessories. I asked if there was a seniors discount to which he said "basically no" then offered it for $42. So I left with this thing.

Made in China and the box probably cost more than what's inside but what the heck. Easy to install but had to get the resident (retired telecommunications) tech to connenct with the modem and enter server password. Seems to work like a hot damn.

IMG_4459.JPG

BlazeES

Tagline
---
TP-Link makes good stuff. You did good ... even for the higher price point.