Home Brew Al K Universal crossovers.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well,during Kevins visit we started hearing problems with the DCM-50 compression drivers. Started hearing a "crack" , at volumes we should not have. So, I called Al Klappenberger to get some new diaphrams. During our talk, I decided to try one of his "extreme slope" designs. It will help during high volume periods by keeping more of the bass out of the mid-horns....they are not cheap...1500.00 a pair.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Well,during Kevins visit we started hearing problems with the DCM-50 compression drivers. Started hearing a "crack" , at volumes we should not have. So, I called Al Klappenberger to get some new diaphrams. During our talk, I decided to try one of his "extreme slope" designs. It will help during high volume periods by keeping more of the bass out of the mid-horns....they are not cheap...1500.00 a pair.
Hi Lee,

BCS DCM50 is $700 a pair at US speaker. Still not cheap.

Extreme slope is 48 db/octave or ??? What frequency are you crossing to your woof?

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
400 hz is pushing it based on the freq response of the DCM50. It really just starting to work at 400 Hz. Looks like could benefit from a slightly higher crossover point. Have you considered crossing at 600 - 800? Sure the mid would prefer that but don't know what your woofer response looks like.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It makes sense, I've talked to a couple guys that are running Al's Extreme Slope crossovers, they both tell me it'll take a week to love em , but after that, it'll be clear.....

THD+N

Journeyman
With a 48dB/octave slope, you can cross over a speaker right up or down, to its limits, without damage. Al K. knows his stuff.

Although nowadays with access to good laptop based hardware and software, you can spend $300 and get a "poor man's" Klippel and design and tweak your own speakers and crossovers easily.

I have a pair of La Scalas with my own version of Al's universal network. It is definitely an improvement over the stock AA crossover. I don't listen at super loud levels, so power handling (Lee's burnt up resistors) is not an issue for me.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yep, in the universal design I was trying to bleed to much power off in the swamping resistor....