High Resolution Portable Audio Anyone?

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Just checking to see if anyone uses a portable high-resolution player like the Astell & Kerns, Sonys, or others. Just wanted to know how you like the sound and the interface. Now that my headphones are broken in I thought I'd get something to take the tunes with me besides an old iPhone with mp3s.

Anyone? Thanks!

Bob

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I run with a Sony WM1A Walkman and it's solid, through & through. I've demo'd a bunch of the recent Walkmans and they are all amazing devices. Astell & Kerns are nice units too but their software can be goofy. What I like about Sony is that their GUI's are simple & straightforward. Sound reproduction is top self - no matter if you enter low on the model tree or drop near a G for the 1A. Sony has shaping algorythms that transform lowly Mp3's too. Good stuff although most of my library of tunes is high bit rate FLAC. High Rez files are mind blowing ...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I'm considering the Tascam DR-100 Mk. III. Mainly to record, but it can play back as well... All sorts of file formats and stereo high rez recording with the possibility of three different power sources.

Any "only" $300 new. About twice the thickness of the Sony WM1A, plus rugged metal construction. Third generation interface allegedly perfected to be very intuitive (for recording anyway). I've yet to handle one, but it appears well built. it has actual buttons and knobs, rather than a touch screen, for critical operations.

Big sell for me is balanced in.

If I buy a "player" it would be one of these for the added (primary) function of recording.

I recently resurrected my Sony MD and found I can't get any drivers to load discs... I have now learned to avoid proprietary software requirements.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Jim: Regarding your Sony MD: Is it a portable? If it's not loading discs it's not due to software upgrades. Driver updates were related to the connection compatibility with different computer operating systems.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
It is a portable, yes.

The issue is that I cannot load new music onto discs. The last software from Sony was Win 7 which they have dropped like a hot potato. I have win 7 pro on my Toughbook but was unable to get drivers.

The unit and discs I made in the past are fine. I was going to let my son use it but had to get a Walmart CD player instead (which is fine in hindsight).

I may just sell the thing but won’t get much for it, despite low hours on it.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I'm considering the Tascam DR-100 Mk. III. Mainly to record, but it can play back as well... All sorts of file formats and stereo high rez recording with the possibility of three different power sources.

Any "only" $300 new. About twice the thickness of the Sony WM1A, plus rugged metal construction.
Hmmm. Might think about the Sony PCM-D10 at $500, then. It plays FLAC and WAV files, of which everything have that isn't AIFF, are. Don't know that I want to have to convert all of my AIFF files to WAV to use that Tascam, nice as it is. That does appear to be a primary advantage of a player over a recorder/player - more file formats supported. But I like the idea of recording and playing in one unit.

Miracle Mile

Driver updates were related to the connection compatibility with different computer operating systems.
Nevertheless: All Sonic stage software that came along with those Sony MD Players are a nightmare..

I have several High Res. portable players and recorders, but one of my favourites still is the (older) FiiO X3 II:

Build like a tank, enough power to feed a lot of different headphones without using an external amplifier and it eats all (including DSD) formats without any issue..

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Miles: does that thing have a real 1/4” jack on it? Perhaps this is my new portable to replace the MD player, which I can only listen to the three discs I made when I got it, on.

Though it would be wiser to put that toward the Tascam (these seem to be about 1/3 the new Tascam price, used) but if I can dump my CDs from the hard drive onto it and go...

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Jim: Okay, I understand the issue you were having wasn't related to the physical loading of the discs into your portable MD deck. I haven't joined this forum, but I bet there are members, there, who know the workaround with old software and modern operating systems.

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/forum/15-minidisc/

Miles: Yes, Sonic Stage is problematic. I have an older Sony Vaio desktop, which was TOTL for its time in 2001, or so. And I used that for awhile to format my MDs using Windows XP.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Thank you Nando. I'll check that forum. If I can find, and use, any relevant links, no need to join another forum.

Which reminds me, I need to stop in to 318ti.org and see if everyone is playing nice...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Thank you Nando! I'll certainly take a look, and I appreciate the help.

Currently dangerously close to pulling the trigger on a Kramer 5X5 switching matrix for ending the cable swap madness behind three pieces of balanced gear...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think we discussed this before, but is 70 MHz high enough band width for digital signal routing? My main intent of the Kramer is for balanced audio routing, but it has video in/out on BNC at 70 MHz, which I thought might be useful for routing various digital signals around with the Masterlink, DAC and CD copier (at the moment) in the digital arsenal... Maybe I should start a new thread... But we have standards for thread crapping around here I'm trying to adhere to...

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
That M10 is a great recorder, Miles. Have had my eye on it for a while but location recording has gone down on my list these days. But the son of M10 (aka D10 @ $500 on this side of the pond) looks to have everything I need and most of the M10 goodness as well. Plus I get a great little recorder should the opportunity arise again. I like Sony's hardware, always have.

Edit: and I gotta love a real Mini.