Hi, I am a newbie... :P :P :P

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
There were a lot of great dishes we got in the olden days- Squash and Eggs, Well you know there are different versions of Egg Plant. Hey if the stuff tastes good I don't care who invented it. I been eating a lot of Chinese as there is a restaurant owner named Bing that is a nice guy and all his dishes are great tasting and from his business during all this mask wearing is still pretty good. Hey I am a fan of good cooking no matter from where. Surprise I am not 300 pounds but the wife has me going Kayaking once a week and I do a lot of paddling. There is an Italian in Italy that is Dr. Walkman and he has a 3 year backlog last I E mailed him. I know how he feels.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I went to look up Gagootz and it is like Zuchini Squash. I was told by an Italian guy who cuts my hair that the meaning is generic like Pumpkin.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
Sam, my best guess is that Gagootz is a word which comes from italian (maybe dialect) cucuzza?

Here, the (big) orange Zucca (Pumpkin, like the one you make for Halloween) is also cucuzza.
While the green (small and same shape as pickles) Zucchine are also cucuzzelle. (small cucuzze)

We call the both of them in a very similar way but by also setting the size.

I guess you meant that?

Anyways, about the zucchine, there is a local recipe which you might know from the old days?

The Sauza di Zucchine, made with thin fried slices of zucchine and then you add mint , grinded bread , vinegard , garlic and maybe some more... this is the best picture I could find but the one we make here is with a lot more grinded bread, literally covered with it. And it's one of those things I might eat a ton of! One of my favourites. :p

also, not to be forgotten the Parmigiana di Melanzane alla napoletana, a typical summer recipe.

Last edited:

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I never had squash in vinegar and I seem to like to stay away from Vinegar for stomach reasons. Now that I am older. Lasagna my mother used to make it a lot and it always tested good. They would make their own gravy. Sausages and Meatballs- now those were the good old days. Now I am eating salads a lot. The guy I was talking to came here in 1968 but did come from Italy. His name is Aldo Greco. Does excellent hair cuts- he told me he used to cut William Shatner's Hair and I said so you met him and he said no. He did a lot of actors hair.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
That Parmigiana di Melenzane isn't exactly a Lasagna, meaning that the layers are not made of thin sheets of pasta.
Those are thin slices of fried egg plant.

Greco, as a surname, is quite common here in the south, maybe originated just from my region which, in ancient days even before the Roman Empire, was the Magna Grecia?