Hello everyone, I'm the new guy who's hook on PL

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Hello and thanks for the interesting reading here. My uncle always had phase linear stuff and got me hooked years ago. I found a 400 series one a few years back, not working, replaced the filter caps and good to go. I'm using it as the sub amp in a bi-amped system at the moment, it's running two BIG band pass cabinets, loaded with eminence definimax 4015lf's. It's running them in stereo as I understand you shouldn't bridge a PL, let alone at 4ohm (each cabinet is 8ohm). I have a Sansui Au-7900 running a pair of three way cabinets at 100hz and up. (PL runs 100hz and down, 18db/oct) I recently found a WORKING Rotel Ra-1412 in the garbage dump electronics bin. I haven't hooked up the rotel to the big speakers yet but ultimately would like to find some more beef for the bottom and move the pl400 up to drive the 3 ways! The system sounds very nice as is, is quite loud and punchy down low, the dual amp setup takes pressure off the little Sansui and she performs quite well before clipping, but in the end I'm driving 700w speakers at 210w :/

If you have any suggestions or can find my a bigger PL would be much appreciated!

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Welcome!

I have a feeling your question for more power will be answered real soon!!!!

In the meantime enjoy the banter. Gonna meet some very interesting characters here.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
.The most we can get out of a WOPL 700 (white oaked phase linear) is about 520 watts per channel into 8 ohms. We reach around 800 into 4 ohms. I am in the process of building some WOPL mono blocs that will do around 700 per into 8ohms.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
It does seem like I came to the right place for all things PL! I can't wait to read more about the WO builds! Since I posted last, I found a big QSC amp cheap cheap, I'm going to try it mono bridged at 4 ohm on the two band pass cabs and put the PL400 on the 3ways. I feel like I'm risking hurting the PL using as a sub amp as I do drive it hard! I would love to find a 700 or a 500 dual and eventually set up my rack as all PL gear for nostalgia sake. I have a PL2000 as well but not sure I've warmed up to it...

cheers

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The Dual 500 is not worth having. Find a nice 700B or 700 SI I with a hot transformer. The Dual 500 is not user or tech friendly. It is 2 ohm capable through a reduced voltage winding on the secondaries at a much reduced power output. With enough cooling a WOPL will handle 2 ohms. I have a 400 (the Pig) that has done it.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Ok thanks, I had never heard of the 500 until recently, the 700 my uncles says was the "God amp" back in the day. I can't seem to find my original manual for the 400. They spec'd two different rail fuses, I think I have the big ones in (6amp I think) I have blown them as it's so hard to hear clipping at 100 hz and lower... I don't want to flame linear it! I have some cooling fans in the cabinet as she will get warm, never seemed excessive though.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Also I have a VU meter not working. It did work, but I think I may have been tipping the bottle some one night and blew a rail fuse. When I removed it from the cabinet, I possibly shorted it against the chassis :/ I've been meaning to check it (I was told use a multimeter on diode test) and see if she sweeps, but it's probably open... Got any spares anyone? Other than that the amp is in nice original condition other than the new/larger caps. I think the QC sticker said 1973? And I don't know what outputs are in it.

I have some general knowledge about electronics, but I could use a project to further my (almost) non existent skills! I'm working as a marine engineer and machinist and I am studying for the 2nd class. It would do me some good to tinker as instrumentation and electronics are becoming a large factor as the classic old lady's are replaced with bells and whistles from china!

cheers

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ok thanks, I had never heard of the 500 until recently, the 700 my uncles says was the "God amp" back in the day. I can't seem to find my original manual for the 400. They spec'd two different rail fuses, I think I have the big ones in (6amp I think) I have blown them as it's so hard to hear clipping at 100 hz and lower... I don't want to flame linear it! I have some cooling fans in the cabinet as she will get warm, never seemed excessive though.
Do you have an aftermarket DC protect board in the 400?

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Bigger, better pictures of your gear ... ( like your avatar shot )

... or you didn't happen ! :compress:

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Hahaha "angrysailor" comes from working as a marine engineer, I guess I'm not shy about letting people know of their incompetence or lack of motivation or observation :violent1:! I work on large bulk cargo ships (around 740' up to 14,600 Hp) and we sail the Great Lakes and the east coast of Canada and the US. Sometimes Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean.

Pics of my gear... I just left where it's at (in the middle of moving 2000 miles) I have that one and one other I'll try to upload at a larger size now... I'm using the Sansui Au-7900 pre amp I to a DOD SR835 active crossover. 100hz down is going to the PL400 and 100 hz up back to the Sansui power amp. The PL drives two band pass cabs (about 17^3' each) loaded with eminence definimax 4015lf's, the Sansui drives stereo three way cabs loaded with kappa pro 15's, alpha 8 mids and apt 150 compression horns. I am grossly underpowered since putting the new drivers in these cabinets. It's still loud and sounds darn good, but you know, more better! I also have in these pics the matching Sansui tuner, a denon turntable (have a Michel too but it doesn't come out into the shop) akai cassette deck and reel to reel (reel not in the shop) a PL2000 pre amp I'm not using as the Sansui pre seems to me to be superior, there's an old EQ there that used to work... My father bought a lot of this stuff back in the 70's... Got a DBX setup that works great, but can't say I listen to many cassettes anymore! I've had a Rotel ra-1412 for a while. It came out of a dumpster in mint condition and works on the bench with small speakers but never got around to putting in the rack and hooking it up. I just scored a big commercial QSC for peanuts, I was going to try it drving the subs mono bridged and use the PL400 for the three ways. Just tinkering, I like it to sound clean and loud but it's in my garage so tools rattle more than any noise from my gear!

Having trouble uploading pics from my phone! Help!!!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Think this pic should come up... I don't know how I did that, it just came up when other attempts showed nothing uploaded?

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Dig the calender...

How many drivers in the subs? Perhaps you could have more than one amp on the subs...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I upload a lot of pics from my Galaxy S4. When replying to a post and you activate the "manage attachments" tab, then another screen pops up with some "choose files" tabs. Activating one of those takes you to your documents on your phone. Choose one then activate the "upload" tab. after it uploads touch the "close this window" tab at the bottom, then "submit reply" on the next screen.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
All the drivers are 8 ohm.

When I click upload, it doesn't seem to always work. If this pic works (it's not a great one either) it's of the speakers in my shop (which is a mess right now) one is a pic of some of my uncles gear.

Attachments