Heads!

A.N.T.

Journeyman
Tagline
Femtoamp- Volt- and Tape- nut.
I thought it might be good to have a thread about heads. Magnetic heads. A couple of photos for a starter. A (small) part of my collection of combination heads (an old photo) and a part of today's (quite unexpected) acquisition. I would try to place here some photos and information of various heads and head-related issues - measurements, lapping, alignment, you name it.

Here are the links to my measurements of a number of heads:

http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/Tape_Recording/Heads_/RP_heads_measured.htm

http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/Tape_Recording/Heads_/Sandwich_heads_measured.htm

Cheers

Alex

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
yes, only heads (and tails) please. :p

my own small stash of NOS Canon sandwiched amorphous heads (just put one on my Technics RS-M260) and a spare Technics AX with missing guide, used one of those into my AIWA F880 by adding a guide on the right/PB side and modifying the mounting plate accordingly (as shown on the below pics).

Canon sandwiched heads.jpg

track-guide check.jpg

track-guide check2.jpg

Last edited:

20tajk7

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You never have too much tapedecks ^^
Heads of Alpage AL-300 (this deck will deserves a thread, worked on 13 of them and did some mods).

Erase head :
AL300erase.JPG

Rec/play ferrite head :
AL300RP1.JPG
AL300RP2.JPG
AL300RP3.JPG
The green capacitor with the 103 mark isn't a capacitor, it's a 10kOhms thermistor used for temperature compensation of the recording amplifier

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
Oh, the great Alps ferrite heads! Alex did put those on my B965MF, which never ceases to amaze me!

and some more nice ferrite heads, I suspect still from Alps, in my old Technics RS-M63.
same heads as on the RS-M95 with some differences at the shape of the mounting plate only.
(sorry for the bad picture quality, with doesn't make really justice to the head, which is still in great shape)

RS-M63_heads.jpg

IMG_20210902_210652.jpg

Last edited: