Handles for 700's

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Hey guys. I'm looking for input on handles for PL 700 amps (700 Series II and other applications) which take the standard 4" hole spacing (700 Series II and 700B's). At this point, I'm looking at the wire style (series II's) but they will be beefier (3/8") and will have the 1/4" x 20 nut and a washer on the back side. I am having a quote for black and silver and they may be either anodized or powder coated whichever is more cost effective. Anybody have comments or an interest? They will probably run at about $75 a set but I wont know for sure for a week or so. I also am looking at doing something for the 700B's but they will be a little different than the originals. Probably an oval profile and bolt from the backside like the originals. I know, not cheap, not original (I don't really care about original, I like being different so we won't even start that). Manufacturing aint cheap when you are only doing a few sets.

What says you ???

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hey guys. I'm looking for input on handles for PL 700 amps (700 Series II and other applications) which take the standard 4" hole spacing (700 Series II and 700B's). At this point, I'm looking at the wire style (series II's) but they will be beefier (3/8") and will have the 1/4" x 20 nut and a washer on the back side. I am having a quote for black and silver and they may be either anodized or powder coated whichever is more cost effective. Anybody have comments or an interest? They will probably run at about $75 a set but I wont know for sure for a week or so. I also am looking at doing something for the 700B's but they will be a little different than the originals. Probably an oval profile and bolt from the backside like the originals. I know, not cheap, not original (I don't really care about original, I like being different so we won't even start that). Manufacturing aint cheap when you are only doing a few sets.

What says you ???
Hi Perry
The original PL700B were 100mm on center...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Dang Joe, what's a measly 1.6 mm between friends???

The Clair's have 5/16" holes and the 700B's are 1/4" holes plus 40 years of slop. Probably fit a 700B handle on a series II pretty easy. I'll adjust my RFQ. Thanks

P

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Thank you Perry for kicking my ass on this subject. I purchased some 3/8 stainless wire handles, most are 5/16 so was happy to find these, they of coarse needed to be drilled for 1/4 bolts. So set out to drill and tap the handles and mount them so you can see how nice they would be. Chinees Stainless Is Shit so the tapping was a bit hair raising as it workhardened as I went deeper. I did get it done without misshap.

so here they are with my new face plates.

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Thank you Perry for kicking my ass on this subject. I purchased some 3/8 stainless wire handles, most are 5/16 so was happy to find these, they of coarse needed to be drilled for 1/4 bolts. So set out to drill and tap the handles and mount them so you can see how nice they would be. Chinees Stainless Is Shit so the tapping was a bit hair raising as it workhardened as I went deeper. I did get it done without misshap.

so here they are with my new face plates.
Yeah, the 3/8 looks great.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---

What says you ???
Perry the gold face plate series two at 5" centers ( not 128 mm)
these are wider than your Clair ones.

Glen

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yeah, I'm only working the 4" wire style pulls ( I have several sets in with the powder coat dude) and I have several sets in brushed. I am also pursuing the original 700B handles. I have been in touch with an investment casting company. It's going to cost a few bucks for the initial run so I'm looking at options for financing the cost ( I.e. guy's who want a piece of the action).

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The 700 II handles turned out great. Mat Black powder coat should last for many beers... I mean Years....

IMG_2817.jpg IMG_2818.jpg IMG_2814.jpg IMG_2815.jpg

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I drilled them out and tapped them for 1/4-20

I'm meeting with my Aluminum Casting dude on Monday. 700B Handles on the horizon. I'm going to have him put dimples where the bolts would go and they will be drilled at 4" or 102mm so they will be able to fit either 700 II or 700B.... We aint gonna fuck around. I have had many ask for the 700B handles on a Series II. I think they will looks awesome on a 700 II

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I drilled them out and tapped them for 1/4-20

I'm meeting with my Aluminum Casting dude on Monday. 700B Handles on the horizon. I'm going to have him put dimples where the bolts would go and they will be drilled at 4" or 102mm so they will be able to fit either 700 II or 700B.... We aint gonna fuck around. I have had many ask for the 700B handles on a Series II. I think they will looks awesome on a 700 II
That should read 4" or 100mm

4" is 102mm