Greetings from Texas

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Thanks gent’s, I have really been enjoying the site. Lots of good humor and great threads. Definitely a diverse group of audio lovers with a lot of knowledge and experience, what more could you ask for ?
I am really enjoying the Pioneer and turntable threads, just love seeing all the vintage gear.
I even got a bonus for signing up…..thank again Lee

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Welcome Spencer, let's just hope i can get it there without being destroyed. I've shipped exactly 2 turntables. If anybody out there has any do's or don'ts for this Denon, I'm all ears...

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Completely disassemble it and insure it (with a third party insurance company) for theee times it’s value.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yeah, was going to dismount the arm, and box it separate, same with the cover, pull the platter and send it with the cover....still have to research if there are any screws to put on the motor to stabilize for shipping purposes...

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
That may be. A lot of suspended tables had some sort of shipping screws. Usually they remain and just get tightened back up for shipping.

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
Hi everyone. I have been lurking for a little while and have been fortunate to have made contact with Don (watts abundant).
A little background, I have been interested (obsessed is more accurate) in PL gear for a couple years now. It started when I was gifted a D500 and 4000S2 preamp, since then the madness has taken over. I have loved audio from a very young age but consider myself more of a collector than audiophile. Endless searching for people who can service these vintage jewels is how I found Phoenix and through that Don, who has been very generous with his time and knowledge, and as many of you know is an all around great guy. We (He, I just watched) installed one of his speaker protection boards on my 700S2 and he has graciously agreed to rebuild one of my 400S2 to give it the full WOPL treatment. To that end I need to reach out to Mark L and get all the boards ordered.
Anyway, glad to finally join this great bunch of PL enthusiasts and hope to contribute wherever I can.
Thanks
Spencer
Greetings Spencer, actually I think that I arrived a couple of weeks later to this forum than you, but isn't this a great place to hang out? (I'm pretty sure that we've already rubbed shoulders in here.) Talk about diversity, what a multi-talented group is in here.

Anyway, just curious -- is your 'gifted' D500 earning it's keep on a daily basis, or is it in cold storage? (I've done both with mine, looking
forward to restoring the ones I have & making up for lost listening time!)

Enjoy the journey --

Last edited:

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Greetings Spencer, actually I think that I arrived a couple of weeks later to this forum than you, but isn't this a great place to hang out? (I'm pretty sure that we've already rubbed shoulders in here.) Talk about diversity, what a multi-talented group is in here.

Anyway, just curious -- is your 'gifted' D500 earning it's keep on a daily basis, or is it in cold storage? (I've done both with mine, looking
forward to restoring the ones I have & making up for lost listening time!)

Enjoy the journey --
Yes sir, we are both newbies here and these guys have been very welcoming.
I don’t have any formal electronics training but everyone here has taken the time to answer questions and pass along information. Even though a lot of the stuff you guys are doing is above my current understanding, I really enjoy reading about it and am picking up more than I imagined.
To answer your question, yup the 500 gets run regularly, fed from an all PL front end and feeds a pair of B&W’s currently.

Tagline
Yes sir, we are both newbies here and these guys have been very welcoming.
I don’t have any formal electronics training but everyone here has taken the time to answer questions and pass along information. Even though a lot of the stuff you guys are doing is above my current understanding, I really enjoy reading about it and am picking up more than I imagined.
To answer your question, yup the 500 gets run regularly, fed from an all PL front end and feeds a pair of B&W’s currently.
Spencer,

Be assured that the D500 & associated PL gear you are feeding it with has really good bones, (architecture) ...so that when you upgrade the internals like these guys are doing then it can become a really special piece of equipment. (By the way, in many places on the internet people will disparage the equipment, but they are just showing off their ignorance. (Typical keyboard warrior nonsense. :0)

For what it's worth I grew up in the DFW area, and as a matter of fact my 2nd D500 was sold to me by a super nice guy who lived in Ft. Worth!
(Small world...of course Texas is anything but small. :0) I also spent some quality time at Basic Training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio...but that was eons ago.

If you'd like to learn more about electronics, just follow my own restoration/upgrade of my twin D500s, for I want to document the process in such a way that a new enthusiast such as yourself will be able to pick up the hobby & run with it.

Good luck & enjoy the music!

dave

Last edited:
Tagline
Dave.....not Davis?
Lee,

There's simply no controlling your mom when you are that tiny. :0) When I was representing DEC as a fly-n-fix guy it was Davis. (ie: Broken customer scenario = extra formal. :0) Otherwise it was just Dave. (Well, when I was trafficking in nonsense Peggy would call me Dufus.)

No worries, I answer to all 3. Just don't call me late to live music...or homemade tacos!

Last edited:

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Spencer,

Be assured that the D500 & associated PL gear you are feeding it with has really good bones, (architecture) ...so that when you upgrade the internals like these guys are doing then it can become a really special piece of equipment. (By the way, in many places on the internet people will disparage the equipment, but they are just showing off their ignorance. (Typical keyboard warrior nonsense. :0)

For what it's worth I grew up in the DFW area, and as a matter of fact my 2nd D500 was sold to me by a super nice guy who lived in Ft. Worth!
(Small world...of course Texas is anything but small. :0) I also spent some quality time at Basic Training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio...but that was eons ago.

If you'd like to learn more about electronics, just follow my own restoration/upgrade of my twin D500s, for I want to document the process in such a way that a new enthusiast such as yourself will be able to pick up the hobby & run with it.

Good luck & enjoy the music!

dave
Thanks triple D, lol (if you get one more 500 that will have Dual meanings)
I will be watching with great interest and appreciate the encouragement.

Tagline
Thanks triple D, lol (if you get one more 500 that will have Dual meanings)
I will be watching with great interest and appreciate the encouragement.
Spencer,

I see what you did there. Nice!

During some of the overnight troubleshooting sessions in those customer site raised-floor computer rooms -- it sometimes reminded me of one of my very favorite scenes in my very favorite movie:

...not just because I shared the same name as the astronaut. Between Arthur C. Clarke & Stanley Kubrick, that movie was/is something.

(And via Laserdisc > Philips CDV 400 > Lexicon > D500 > QLS-1s ... finally, the sound was as good as the visuals. (HAL's voice was recorded out-of-phase so that he sounded as if he has both everywhere & nowhere at the same time. And the astronaut's stressed-out breathing...I've heard that in my own chem gear during an ORI. :0)

This is gonna be fun!

Last edited:

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Spencer,

I see what you did there. Nice!

During some of the overnight troubleshooting sessions in those customer site raised-floor computer rooms -- it sometimes reminded me of one of my very favorite scenes in my very favorite movie:

...not just because I shared the same name as the astronaut. Between Arthur C. Clarke & Stanley Kubrick, that movie was/is something.

(And via Laserdisc > Philips CDV 400 > Lexicon > D500 > QLS-1s ... finally, the sound was as good as the visuals. (HAL's voice was recorded out-of-phase so that he sounded as if he has both everywhere & nowhere at the same time. And the astronaut's stressed-out breathing...I've heard that in my own chem gear during an ORI. :0)

This is gonna be fun!
Great movie for sure and like a lot of science fiction, a prelude of things to come. Much of which will not be good. HAL lives in our phones already but now is a female.