Going retro to an extreme!

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Started to rebuild the soundbox that actually belonged on the Victor IV. Needs some bits and pieces, but should restore nicely. Smaller than I expected, much smaller than the Oro-Tone that’s mounted now. 26F391A5-64C4-4AE5-B17F-6255547D4371.jpeg

MarkWComer

Tagline
Nicely made parts for what they went for in the day.
REAL metal! Not painted plastic..
New mica diaphragm ordered along with balance springs and new needle lever. The lever would be good, but the knurled head is broken off from the setscrew, too small to get to and back out.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Rebuilt the Exhibition reproducer...

nice work! Same reproducer on my VV-VIII.
On another note, I was told that it is better to brake and leave tension on the motor springs rather then let them run out due to risk of dislodging internally.

MarkWComer

Tagline
nice work! Same reproducer on my VV-VIII.
On another note, I was told that it is better to brake and leave tension on the motor springs rather then let them run out due to risk of dislodging internally.
Yes, a little tension keeps the winding shaft engaged in the keyway of the spring. I do need to take the platter off to get the rust off and hit the wood underneath with some wood restorer, the worm screw is actually the bottom of the turntable shaft, so I have to let the spring out as much as I can to avoid a sudden release. The brake works against the inside rim of the turntable, not the governor, so it has no effect on the motor with the platter removed.

This was an “economy model,” so it has only one spring. Sold for $14 originally.

MarkWComer

Tagline
So nobody said how to melt a shellac record to git a buzz.

I just broke one, don’t want it to go to waste...

MarkWComer

Tagline
(Posted previously in “What are you listening to?” thread by mistake)

Finished the knobs on the Grafonola. One of the originals was broken, but I have a friend with a lathe. These are poplar, very hard wood that didn’t want to stain. I had to use wood dye instead. They could probably be a bit darker.

The bottom of the cabinet is a record storage area with my 10” album sets inside,
vertical louvers open to adjust volume, lid opens to reveal Columbia Grafonola E-2 disc phono. Edison cylinders on top are a new addition, no phono for them yet (such a variety- can’t decide on which type I want).

I made a separate YouTube playlist for the antiques- this is becoming one of my “things” now. There’s a Victor IV and a Brunswick 105.

511E4424-CCFE-4FB8-ABF4-408BF3368B37.jpeg

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Analyzer would probably say more noise than music! Those mica diaphragms have a resonant frequency, noise can’t be avoided.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
"such a variety- can’t decide on which type I want"

Often times the horn is where the money is at. Nice big horn with original fancy paint or Gold leaf can cost way more than the record player.