Going retro to an extreme!

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
"such a variety- can’t decide on which type I want"

Often times the horn is where the money is at. Nice big horn with original fancy paint or Gold leaf can cost way more than the record player.
The decision tree on this has a lot of branches. External horn, tabletop with internal horn, floor model...

External horn machines come in so many models, and they’re all damned expensive. And to add to that, I wanted a Diamond Disc machine, too- which is the main reason I bought the Brunswick machine with the multi diaphragm soundbox.
RABBIT HOLE...

MarkWComer

Tagline
Does anyone know what these things are?
Torque screw? Torque rivet? Press rivet?
Pulled from an antique soundbox for rebuild... 1E54A144-46B2-43C0-9645-8833013CBA32.jpeg

MarkWComer

Tagline
The ones I remember had ornate heads, no screw driver slot.
No driver slot- solid dome head. Brass? I assume they’re pressed in. I pulled them out with wire nippers to the point where I could grab them with pliers and twisted them out.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Almost every metal tag on equipment has those. Every.large electric motor, pumping unit etc. Dont know the proper name, but they are made to remove by backing out. Metal tags can be removed to paint, clean, sandblast etc and put back on.
Here's a tag off a Lufkin pumping unit the screw rivets are the same type and can be backed out.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
They are called Drive Screws or sometimes Driv Screws.

I have them on a lot of old iron equipment holding on identification tags. They were basically hammered into a hole.

They are a bear to get out, various techniques used for removal. None of those techniques needs Heyco pliers though. :)