Gasoline prices Skyrocketing!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
With the current power plants electric cars have a larger carbon footprint than a gasoline powered automobile
True that Mark, and will be that way for a long time. Folks don't know that when they buy an electric car thinking they are doing the save the earth thing. Direct gas to power is the most efficient conversion of fuel to work. Coal or gas to fire a steam boiler to turn a turbine to power a transmission line through all the transformers and line losses along the way to charge batteries is an energy chain plagued with losses.

Those car owners will never rationalize that however, ignorance is bliss. And Elon sells a lot of high priced cars that will be a waste management problem 10 years down the road...

Remember that CO2 is 73% oxygen :)

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
With the current power plants electric cars have a larger carbon footprint than a gasoline powered automobile
Absolutely, and just think about the infrastructure that needs to be built to keep them charged. Our current electrical grid would fail. The grid has huge issues now in CA. Look at what happened in TX this past winter. "Green" energy will require a larger carbon footprint any way one looks at it.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Absolutely, and just think about the infrastructure that needs to be built to keep them charged. Our current electrical grid would fail. The grid has huge issues now in CA. Look at what happened in TX this past winter. "Green" energy will require a larger carbon footprint any way one looks at it.
Today CA told EV owners that they should only charge their vehicles between set hours due to grid limitations.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
They will either have to increase the Solar production or Wind as the Government is not giving up the Zero Point Energy devices anytime soon.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Don't know how one can be afraid of gas prices that defy inflation. Gasoline is one of the least affected by inflation purchases we make. In my lifetime the price of gas has gone down when adjusted for inflation, and I'm a young geezer (56). I think wining about gas prices is just how we roll, no matter what the price. Kinda like the weather....

mlucitt

Back in 1918 as gasoline was just entering commercial production prices were at their peak at $4.27 but as refining capacity improved prices began to fall (in both nominal and inflation-adjusted terms).
Remember these are annual average prices for regular “conventional” motor fuel. Some states require “reformulated” fuel which would cost more. Some states also impose higher than average taxes on gasoline and so prices will be higher in those states. Also, Mid-grade and Premium fuel will also cost more. Plus since these are “annual average” prices, half of the year prices will be higher.
It is interesting to note that both 1972 and 2016 bottomed at the same inflation-adjusted price of $2.22 even though the nominal price was drastically different.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
True that Mark, and will be that way for a long time. Folks don't know that when they buy an electric car thinking they are doing the save the earth thing. Direct gas to power is the most efficient conversion of fuel to work. Coal or gas to fire a steam boiler to turn a turbine to power a transmission line through all the transformers and line losses along the way to charge batteries is an energy chain plagued with losses.

Those car owners will never rationalize that however, ignorance is bliss. And Elon sells a lot of high priced cars that will be a waste management problem 10 years down the road...

Remember that CO2 is 73% oxygen :)
Your comments got me wondering and I am unable to find any source that shows current C02 emissions is lower for gas vehicle compared to EV when calculating overall emissions over lifetime or avg yearly. Do you have a source for this?

Tagline
Retired
On Wednesday a couple of the Shell stations were selling regular for $3.02. Today they are in the mid 90's. Murphy is at $2.81 compared to $2.98 all week. Their competition across the street is $2.83. I wonder where the prices will be after the holidays.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Diesel was about $3.09 from Mn to Az as long as you didn't hit the first or last station on the interstate for each state. It was probably cheaper in town but pulling the Toyhauler through town wasn't a great option.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Worst I saw last month was $3.29 - and that was in the Upper Peninsula. Most was priced between $2.99 and $3.19. Seemed fair enough given distribution issues for the remote-ness of our travels. It's $2.65 at the Shell station around the corner from my house.

Tagline
Retired
Gas prices have come back down in the past week. Today, a couple of stations are selling at $2.78. Gas did go over $3.00 last week. The two Phillips' stations were at $3.02, but I don't think it lasted beyond a day.

Tagline
Retired
Sniffer, I'm a little off track here but I see you're in AZ. Where are you at. I was transferred to Phx in 1988 from Colorado. I settled in Peoria for the first two years and then moved to Sedona where I spent the next 12 Years.

Ron

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Sniffer, I'm a little off track here but I see you're in AZ. Where are you at. I was transferred to Phx in 1988 from Colorado. I settled in Peoria for the first two years and then moved to Sedona where I spent the next 12 Years.

Ron

I'm in Hereford (Sierra Vista) about 70 miles SE of Tucson down by Bisbee and Tombstone