Full Or Quasi Comp

Wayne

New Around These Parts
Thanks and hello to all. Not a professional but been in electronics since kid,Ham radio operator and repair almost any thing.
Getting older like many and have a PL 400 in garage ? I got from a band with one channel blown.Mixed output trannies .Been screeching on eBay for parts for it when I came across the White Oak boards.
Got the to bring this Beath to 21st century. Been trying to educate myself reading the forum.
Wondering why there never been a power switch on front panel??
I suppose a small toggle switch on panel and use a relay inside??

Wayne in Illinois

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Hey Wayne - Welcome to Phoenix. Lot of reading to do if you're a DIY guy. If you do decide to undertake the "Beast" this is the place to learn from.

Where about in IL are you located? A Lee Laatsch WOPL400 is here in northern IL that loves to be listened to.....

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Thanks and hello to all. Not a professional but been in electronics since kid,Ham radio operator and repair almost any thing.
Getting older like many and have a PL 400 in garage ? I got from a band with one channel blown.Mixed output trannies .Been screeching on eBay for parts for it when I came across the White Oak boards.
Got the to bring this Beath to 21st century. Been trying to educate myself reading the forum.
Wondering why there never been a power switch on front panel??
I suppose a small toggle switch on panel and use a relay inside??

Wayne in Illinois
Hi Wayne,

I use this switch here. Also will handle a WOPL'd 700 as I have them on my 400/700 "Hybrid" with the 400 faceplate.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/691-PA301

It does the job.. little heavy on the push force needed, but so far no issues with the inrush current upon power up.

Wayne

New Around These Parts
Hi Fishoz,
I see I made a few mistakes but were originally from Chicago and now live in Dwight,Il just off I 55.
Recently bought all available kits for upgrading PL 400 as I said from White Oak thru Joe..
Thanks for the switch recommendation.
Didn't see any mention on the Phoenix site.
Wayne

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Mistakes happen Wayne - there is a "Shiiiiit" thread around here somewhere....there is a reason.

If you ever get up to the Northern Suburbs my WOPL is always on!.....no power switch..eh?

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I took the easy way out for a 400 power switch. Didn't want to drill a hole in the face plate.

Got a small project box, stuck in an AC line cord, single AC outlet, a 30A toggle between them and screwed (shallow screws) the affair to the side of the chassis. Left the stock power cord intact.

Line cord into the wall, amp's AC cord into the box's outlet and I got a side mounted power switch. Face plate is unmolested and the switch box can be removed anytime.

I don't have a wood sleeve so it works for me.

IMG_4224.JPG

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I took the easy way out for a 400 power switch. Didn't want to drill a hole in the face plate.

Got a small project box, stuck in an AC line cord, single AC outlet, a 30A toggle between them and screwed (shallow screws) the affair to the side of the chassis. Left the stock power cord intact.

Line cord into the wall, amp's AC cord into the box's outlet and I got a side mounted power switch. Face plate is unmolested and the switch box can be removed anytime.

I don't have a wood sleeve so it works for me.

View attachment 37496

Wood Sleeve????

HUH?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
They are just an extension of your outlet. Some have surge protectors built in but attract lightening? No.... That would be a lawsuit waiting to happen and most every house in the US would be begging for trouble.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
A lightening rod would attract lightening and they are really just a Grounding Rod up high on the house or building. Most houses do not have them since who the hell want's to attract lightening besides Dr Frankensteen