Fred's Toob amp(s) build.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
They sound great. After years of WOPL's, I'd have to listen to these for quite some time and then monkey with my system to accommodate them. When they get to where they are going, and the system is tuned to be ran with the toobs, we'll let Fred comment. I myself? Well. there is no replacement for a WOPL'd system. Some amps need different speakers, and pre's and and and......... Guy's mess with their systems for YEARS to get the tube sound just right. A WOPL??? Plug it in, hook it up, crank it up, and FUGETT ABOWD IT!!!!

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Agree with Perry's comments. I prefer the sound and ease of maintenance (and cool running) of solid state. Tube amps are fun to play with and have a different and beautiful sound, but are a pain as a daily driver.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Tube equippment was becoming passe for mainstream gear when I first got into audio. Although it was still out there. I've only owned a few pieces of tube equippment since the late 1960's and never regretted their loss. Although I do still now have a small tube amp & tuner plus a receiver.

Guess I've never warmed up to tubes (pun inteneded) but those two amps look so nice. If nothing else, conversation pieces. But I don't think I'd much apprciate their care and feeding.

George S.

Yup, to me the the "Golden Age" of stereo in terms of equipment and media(records) is the 1970s and solid state. I've never seen a tube amp first hand except in a electric organ or two. I found them intriguing due to the low frequency sound pressures they could create. Always wondered why they weren't popular for stereo, probably what you say, care and feeding. Back in those days days there were some RCA and Zenith TV repair shops around, and Walgreens had a tube tester up by the front door. The Internet wasn't even envisioned Had to be difficult for the average Joe to run tubes long term versus solid state.
Fred, I hope that set of amps meets your expectations and gives you immense enjoyment.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Thanks George. I'm sure they will. Might put them in a glass display case in the cave when not in use.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I guess it was just my luck that the only tubes I tried were the Cary SLM 100 mono's , that were the only set that left the factory that you could not bias the tubes. I know the Larrt fought with Cary for awhile after he got them....they sounded pretty shitty to me. Have yet to hear a good set of tubes...

Awesome work Perry...

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
I would take the Cary mono blocks over the New York Audio Lab Moscode 600 awfully terrible sound.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
So were the Cary's when you couldn't bias them....came out of the factory that way....erroneously...

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
The only tube amps I've owned are ones I've built myself and I don't think I've heard any other ones either (except an H.H. Scott Stereomaster). My WE91 clone has been really low maintenance, aside from replacing defective tube sockets and hum balancing a couple times, I've done nothing to it. I way overbuilt everything on it, oversized power tranny and chokes, 25 watt output trannies, 660 VAC motor run capacitors for filters/couplers, oversized power resistors, ceramic sockets......

I wonder how long those KT120s last? I can't imagine 2 matched quads of 'em being cheap. FWIW I wouldn't kick a pair of tubed organ amps to the curb (or out of bed!)

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
The Mac auto bias can be a problem sometimes cause the resistor value can drift i had that problem in a Mac 240