Fluke 289 v 87V

My first Fluke was a 75 in the early 80's when I was dirt poor. It served it's purpose. Then the 87 came out. It became the standard at my day job. We've bought more than a 500 over the years. Some of the advanced features of the 289 are good for industry. Given the price, I can't see any value in it for home use. I do think true RMS is important. The 7X's are not true RMS. These days decent true RMS meters can be had for $100 or less including a used Fluke 87.

Last year I bought some $30 meters with the intended purpose of using them only for testing diodes/transistors. They had a 600V rating. One person, (not me) used it on 480V and changed the range switch while connected. The meter was severely damaged.

There are lots of true RMS meters out there. You pay for the Fluke name. The cheap ones have an AC/DC voltage button that's a PITA. Find a fluke on Craigs list/ebay in decent shape.

J!m

Chief Journeyman
I ended up with the 87V, the i1010 (ac/dc) amp clamp and a case to keep them together.

Although I may have infrequent need for amp measurements over 1000A DC mainly I am well covered for my needs. And as you point out, it’s pretty much the standard in industry.

Meter is new, open box (made Feb. this year), clamp is used, but perfect, and the case is used, but never issued at some industrial facility. So that looks new as well. Not that appearance matters on a case...

I learned that the current version of the large case does not come with the shoulder strap (?),so I got the old one in case I want that climbing a ladder or something.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Quote>The 7X's are not true RMS. <Quote
I have an old HP 400GL for true AC RMS voltage measurements. I have tried to kill it many times, but it will not die.
Hp-400Gl-Ac-Voltmeter.jpg

J!m

Chief Journeyman
I still have my Dad’s Simpson around somewhere, as well as one from Mac Tools (rebranded- probably a Simpson) that works great for RPM etc.

And his Square-D high voltage tester. The Bakelite beast with the flipper on top!

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Not sure how I ended up with a 179. I have a vague recollection of drinking too much one night and amazon showing up with the 179 the next day.

Last edited:
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Say what you will about Harbor Freight tools but in recent years the quality has risen dramatically and if your using them the way they were meant to be used they work well. Besides at my age I ain't spending a ton of dough on tools anymore just because it has a "name" on it. That's money I can spend on " vintage stereo equipment" that I really don't need either!

J!m

Chief Journeyman
I get most of my “name” tools on eBay now. The truck comes next door to my work (diesel repair shop) every Wednesday so I can exchange whatever I break.

Which reminds me- I need to bring my torque wrenches tomorrow to check calibration...

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
I get most of my “name” tools on eBay now. The truck comes next door to my work (diesel repair shop) every Wednesday so I can exchange whatever I break.

Which reminds me- I need to bring my torque wrenches tomorrow to check calibration...
Wait... you can calibrate torque wrenches? Torque screwdrivers? Inquiring minds want to know...

J!m

Chief Journeyman
Well, on the red snapper truck they have a rig to check them. If they’re out, I believe they empty your bank account and calibrate it for you.

But if you don’t check, you don’t know.

J!m

Chief Journeyman
My 87V showed up today. The box was on my chair as I was coming to collect a schematic... perfect timing!

I turned it on to make sure it worked and went to work with it. Used my Fluke 10 leads- didn’t even take the new ones out of the box!

It seems to respond faster, and with greater resolution. I had some goofy shit I was dealing with today and it proved it’s worth.

Happy.

J!m

Chief Journeyman
Oh, and my 1/2” torque wrench was 4 lb/ft high. Well within tolerance.

Battery died on their test rig. I wanted to do top middle and bottom of range... maybe next time.