Fluke 289 v 87V

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I have a Fluke 10 I use in work. It’s old, the beeper doesn’t beep any more for continuity and it is very limited on functionality. Like resistance and voltage (AC/DC) only.

So, I figured I’d get the “standard” 87V meter. Which everyone here probably has, or certainly has seen and/or used before. Me included.

Looking for a deal I came across the 87 MAX which is more water resistant IP67 I believe and more shock resistant.

Then I came across a 289. That has many more advanced functions and data logging. About $100 more than an 87V but almost into oscilloscope territory with the graphic display.

I found a used one, in line price wise with used 87Vs so I thought I should just get the thing, but I wanted to see if anyone had one, or experience with it.

Some negatives I’ve seen are “long” boot time of ~3 seconds, eats batteries (6 AAs) and some inconsistent reports of taking a long time to get a reading?

These run firmware so can be updated. The one I have my eye on was calibrated in 2019 as well (my Fluke 10 cannot be calibrated, though seems better than the other cheapies in the shop)

Thoughts? I don’t need advanced functions very often, but I do need a meter and thought data logging would be useful.

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/digital-multimeters/fluke-289

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I've been reading the manual, and it has some interesting features like measuring dc on ac, frequency and dBv… Seems like it could be used for a lot more than just the stuff at work, like tuning turntable speed.

Brand new, there's no contest. Like a $300 difference between them. But used, the 87V is so popular, it's nearly as much as the 289, due to lower demand.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think my 10 is even older than that... Purchased before 1998 for sure. I don't think they make that one any more. (I didn't check)

Mine still has the screen protector plastic on it!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
That looks like mine, yeah.

No backlight, basic functions.

I’m bidding on a new 87V now. Procrastinated too long and the other one is gone. The remaining ones are $600+

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Fluke 87V inbound.

Welp, I made an offer on a new one that has been accepted.

Next is the i1000s, 1000A amp clamp add-on and I’ll be well covered for my work and home needs. We occasionally run up at 1200 amps but not often. 400-600 is typical. need to sell more junk first...

Having dual displays is pretty cool on the fancier meter, but I should be fine with this. Plus there are millions of them and parts if I do break it. Seems like a smart choice.