First Time Building PL400 BP Rev B

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
So moving along in the build I made a pretty dumb mistake and accidentally added R6 to one of the boards and am now short a resistor R5 on the other board.

Thinking I should just snip it and try to solder in the best as possible or order more resistors?

Thoughts? You guys have been a huge help so far, thanks for everything.
Just neatly clip the resistor out of the wrong location and put a wire jumper in the right location. R5 and R6 are 1 ohm resistors and are just used as jumpers that happen to look a touch better than a wire jumper does. Find any 1/4W resistor, cut and form one of the leads off of it into the jumper you need. On RevC backplanes, the 1 ohm resistors added to that revision in other locations are for more than jumper purposes but the R5 and R6 you are dealing with are just jumpers.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Way to crowded on that board to be spraying molten solder. Solder splash would be a disaster if you didnt find all of it .

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I have had good luck desoldering by getting it molten and blowing it out with an air gun. I don’t think “canned air” (or Perriair from Spaceballs) would work.

Sometimes takes a couple tries but it works. Feels nice when it splashes on you too.
Be careful with that- you could blow a splat of solder where it shouldn’t be, cause a short circuit.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Exactly what happened when it hit my arm. I totally short circuited.

But in my case I got away without doing further damage to whatever it was. A digital panel mount volt meter I think.

I did try splaying some fine copper wire strands to wick it but that didn’t work.

Phantom Lamb

New Around These Parts
Finished populating first board last night with components. To clarify, I should desolder R6 and can use a straight wire for R5 on the other board?

Still no luck in fishing that darn resistor out of there, maybe need a smaller tip on the soldering iron?