First PL700 Check Out

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
I was just looking for good pics of people blowing speakers that best fit what I think would hapen if you would use one

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
several hours I have seen my mistake it should say STOCK amp I was having a massive brain fart trying to figure it out. I have fell victim to my garbage mind again
I am glad I do not have to draw an amp in windows paint inside a sock that is too hard for me

Kma4444

Journeyman
This is a HOOT. I am going to do some kind of spreadsheet or graph or hieroglyphics of some sort to keep track as Don suggested and check both sides once again. I will name them as I check them, not like Sam or Cliff but by their given names. That way at least I'll be learning their locations etc. Gotta help me in some manner.

I completely understand not using the thing in it's vintage configuration for sure. At this point it's more of a challenge to see if I can get it operable. Work is about to start up again so that means I will have less time but some extra change,,,,, isn't that just the way it goes. But it will allow me to get the pieces to get another of the 700s all WOPL'd. I assume that is a proper verb.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Getting this amp to work is going to be a valuable learning tool with minimal cost except for labor. A successful WOPL does not yield any troubleshooting experience.

Referring to the blown speakers, one time a rock n roll band brought in a JBL 15" to get reconed. During the show, the voice coil somehow jumped the gap. The amplifier tried it's best to get it back in the gap until the voice coil started to smoke. The crowd saw the smoke pouring out of the cabinet, thought it was part of the show, and roared with approval.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Referring to the blown speakers, one time a rock n roll band brought in a JBL 15" to get reconed. During the show, the voice coil somehow jumped the gap. The amplifier tried it's best to get it back in the gap until the voice coil started to smoke. The crowd saw the smoke pouring out of the cabinet, thought it was part of the show, and roared with approval.
Those JBLs are hard to kill. There is an urban legend that says a sound man once plugged a JBL cabinet (a pair of 15" woofers) into the 120V wall socket. The 60 Hz sound was so loud, he had to disconnect it. But it played the line voltage and they used it that night at the show!