Firefox 57 "Quantum" is out now, anybody using it with Windows other than me?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I thought for some reason that the partitioning you mentioned may well be the issue however I know not what to say as far as a fix. In the past I have used some partitioning software but scary with a system that I have data on I do not want to loose. To be perfectly 100% honest (I know I will get beat up over this if any computer nerds read this) I have quite a few machines in the past that I have never updated from day one of loading the windows OS. As I said earlier, the best antivirus for me anyway is a careful finger on the left mouse clicker. Sure, I run windows defender and have malwarebytes handy but that's about it. I hope you come back on after you nail this down, I would like to know what fixed it.
It's still waiting, I have to go find the GOOD OEM disc, promptly found the one that always stops at the same place in setup.

More good reasons for HOUSECLEANING.

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Another problem is that when I reinstalled my OEM 7 HP after an HDD failure the system reserved patitiion was only 100MB
Have you run a chkdsk from safe mode lately? I don't think the 100mb is the problem. Mine show that too.

orange

Tagline
Considering that I've already killed the old installation changing the partitions while trying to reinstall, too late. In whole hog.

orange

Tagline
Did all that and was always fine. The problem was solved by increasing the partition at the time of reloading, and possibly/probably it needed reloading anyway.

I'm not even using Linux or Firefox right now, and I lost the network connection on the remaining Mint machine so I'm on hiatus with Linux for a while.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Did all that and was always fine. The problem was solved by increasing the partition at the time of reloading, and possibly/probably it needed reloading anyway.

I'm not even using Linux or Firefox right now, and I lost the network connection on the remaining Mint machine so I'm on hiatus with Linux for a while.
Damn glad you got it. Did you say somewhere in your posts that you needed a video card or was I dreaming ?

orange

Tagline
Yeah, I have them, all kinds, just have to go over THERE and look in the box.

I still remember ISA Soundblasters and the really nice audio card I had with a Yamaha GX something 724 processor, that was the bomb.

orange

Tagline
I see that Mozilla has stopped calling the new version Quantum for the most part.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Yeah, I have them, all kinds, just have to go over THERE and look in the box.

I still remember ISA Soundblasters and the really nice audio card I had with a Yamaha GX something 724 processor, that was the bomb.
Yep, just making sure because I know I have some laying around here that work.

orange

Tagline
Yep, just making sure because I know I have some laying around here that work.
Once Upon A Thyme I had a really old Gateway 2000 with a CD-ROM CARD (PCMCIA?)

BLECCH!

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Firefox 57+ IS Quantum.

They haven't stopped doing anything for the 'most part'.

The About: dialog box pretty much says it all ...

Quantum.jpg

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Once Upon A Thyme I had a really old Gateway 2000 with a CD-ROM CARD (PCMCIA?)

BLECCH!
I remember when they first started selling computers at Radio Shack. I can't remember exactly when it was but they were in Peachtree mall. That was the high end mall around here back in 1976. My Dad got me a job working, cleaning up for Tadlock Piano and Organ. I could not wait to get into that Radio Shack and see all the things of wonder. All I could think about was electronics and Star Trek... Hell, I guess I have reverted..All I think about now is Star Trek and electronics.

orange

Tagline
Firefox 57+ IS Quantum.

They haven't stopped doing anything for the 'most part'.

The About: dialog box pretty much says it all ...

View attachment 30939
Not on the public radio ads.

I spent a lot of wasted time finally repairing Windows Update after getting rid of AVG Free yet again and doing a System Restore back to the 29th then I had to install MSE again then the stuff that went away with the restore.

maybe the SR wasn't necessary but in the end I'm back to normal, the only updates lately are for MSE but I got all the rollups to roll out once I reloaded with a primary partition of 450 MB. Not a huge deal on a 149 GB drive.

Doug/Fitz was wanting to know if I was going to send him files for the Christmas album...I've spent half a week fussing with this and worrying about my cat Socks...I have song bookmarked and not ripped yet. I'll try to ghet done by the weekend.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
From UK YAHOO, see below.

PS IE 11 is also fairly fast after a fresh installation...this particular installation of vBulletin has quirks that it always returns to shortly afterward, oddly enough Yesfans doesn't necessarily do the same. The corporate version of vB Internet brands uses on their sites works well too, with a few things here and there, the biggest thing right now is complaints about unwanted popups from mobile users or occasional loss of buttons, some of those things are specific to the mobile browsers I think.

Nothing's perfect. Both can freeze up.
UK YAHOO.jpg

(I would never use Chrome in the first place)​

orange

Tagline
FF 58.0 was released yesterday, and it looks like it might actually be working right finally, both for Linux Mint and Windows.

orange

Tagline
Firefox 60 and ESR 52.8.0 (32 bit for my older HP) are now out, please upgrade if it doesn't automatically.

orange

Tagline
Some important information today...

Firefox updated to version 62.0 and if you haven't updated your own browser yet the results may be sorta funky. Get it done.

When you do you will also find you have maybe 6 firefox.exe files running in Windows Task Manager .

To modify that to jut one you can type about:config in the search window and find the setting for browser.tabs.remote.autostart

Click that will change the condition to FALSE. Close out the browser and start it again and you will see only one instance of firefox.exe running, if that is what you want. You could have maybe six files called firefox.exe running. This is suppose to be a feature of Firefox called e10 something or other but I don't see how spreading the same amount of memory usage across six applications is really any better. One will still get really big and gum up an older computer.

Why I say this is important is that I think Firefox was responsible for some sites not loading well for a day or two until I updated. If you had similar problems this might help.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
To modify that to jut one you can type about:config in the search window and find the setting for browser.tabs.remote.autostart
That’s really odd. Is that an attempt to prevent browser tabs from crashing? I opened Task Manager, and there it was- six instances of the same application running concurrently. I followed your instructions, the issue is gone now, and FireFox isn’t running any worse or better- as if no change was made. I was having issues earlier with practically everything on this box, found it was a bad memory DIMM...

I’ll check to see if this multiple iteration thing applies to my iMac as well.