Firefox 57 "Quantum" is out now, anybody using it with Windows other than me?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
For you Linux Mint users, it should ship with the alpha of 18.3 Sylvia (But not the beta). After 18.3 Mint will drop support for KDE and some other changes will be occurring along the way, see the October edition of the Linux Mint Blog from the Linux Mint default homepage. As Mint moves toward 19 it sounds like some challenges are coming but hopefully more fun and enjoyment...many of the new features and changes will be good.

Meanwhile, I installed 57 to Windows 7 without changing old settings/bookmarks, something I think I will be changing and reinstalling it clean then adding the bookmarks again from IE.

Being an early adopter I've already had it crash once today and I wonder if doing as clean installation will be better.

I wish I could find something that resembles a check this website or block feature but I haven't as of yet and Yahoo gets Firefox drive-by exploits as well as Adobe Flash ones that come in IE or once did.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I'm going to do as complete of an uninstall as I can and try it fresh. Windows keeps hanging for a while and I have 4GB.

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Just loaded 57. Miss the restart button, but like the dark background. Win some...

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I've upgraded to Quantum and it lives up to all the hype about being faster.

Sad to see some of the add-ins being unsupported but that will improve with time.
Firefox has yet to let me down.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I have not upgraded my Firefox yet as it is missing something Norton wants for protection. Firefox is ok but I find myself using IE far more

orange

Tagline
I had left 56.0.2 there and installed 57, didn't seem to work out so I uninstalled both an installed 57 again and I'm finding freezing (not responding) with long waits and low CPU usge but95% plus memory usage. I have 4 MB RAM. That's a problem.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I am running the Beta Firefox now. I have had no trouble whatsoever with it I like the speed. I do not have a high end machine. AMD Phenom II x4 945 @3.0 GHZ. 8 GB RAM. I did stick a SSD in for the Windows OS. Running Win 7 Pro.

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
It's faster and seems better. Tried 4 add-ons so far, Country Flag and Disconnect left running. AdBlock and Open in IDM disabled but will test them later. Still looking for a reset button.

orange

Tagline
here is what I see the problem as being, and I see others concerned as well although Mozilla seems to think it's normal.

I've got a 2.6 GHz Pentium G620 is it with hyperthreading (dual core) using Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 GB RAM.

I had 5 instances of Firefox.exe running with one taking 3 million kb? of memory and 95% CPU usage.

NO FIREFOX RUNNING!

I shut all of them down in Windows File Manager and SANITY RETURNED. My head swims like I'm reading a Microsoft TechNet bulletin sometimes trying to fathom the stuff they are explaining. It's like COVFEFE, BABY!

Since this has occurred PRIOR to 56, maybe 52 even, according to people's threads, I'm not sure it's an actual feature of use...I get IE doing that too now and then and this leads me to believe that perhaps it's not so good with Windows.

So I have to write if off as an early adoption FAIL...56.0.1 and 56.0.2 were much friendlier to Windows as well as Linux Mint.

To be fair, I got rid of AVG Free and went back to Windows Defender and it's full updates as far as I've seen.

Another problem is that when I reinstalled my OEM 7 HP after an HDD failure the system reserved patitiion was only 100MB which seems to be the reason all of the overly large ROLLUP updates seem to fail to install (larger than the partition, how to clear it and really HOW TO INCREASE IT W/O RELOADING)???

All the dipthongs got a brain virus in the Ganges at Microsoft or it's just they want you to use (buy) more of their stuff to which I must scream NUTS! Get off of my cloud!

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I've decided that Firefox 'Quantum' (57.0) is Not Ready For Prime Time) and returned to 56.0.2...it was eating my RAM alive, even when CPU usage was fairly low. A huge stinky problem and I'm not the only one who thought so.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I've decided that Firefox 'Quantum' (57.0) is Not Ready For Prime Time) and returned to 56.0.2...it was eating my RAM alive, even when CPU usage was fairly low. A huge stinky problem and I'm not the only one who thought so.
i read somewhere that it uses all four cores...I had no idea that any program that was run on a 64 bit OS did not use all four cores. Shows how little I know of software.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I read somewhere that it uses all four cores...I had no idea that any program that was run on a 64 bit OS did not use all four cores. Shows how little I know of software.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
It's faster and seems better. Tried 4 add-ons so far, Country Flag and Disconnect left running. AdBlock and Open in IDM disabled but will test them later. Still looking for a reset button.
Adblocker Ultimate is the one to use now.
It's compatible and effective.

orange

Tagline
I guess 'hyperthreading' is on one of my Pentium 4 machines but something from 2008 or so with UEFI like Alison (HP Pavilion P7-1111) can't deal with it, and Emily is a Dell Dimension E310 (3100) with a 533 MHz FSB that has problems now and then simply running Mint 18.2 and FF 56, much less Windows 7 somedaze...

Pentium G620: Operating speed: Up to 2.6 GHz, Number of cores: 2, Socket: LGA1155, Bus speed: DMI (Direct Media Interface) - 2.5GT/s

On the other hand I have an MPC Clientpro 385 running 18.2/FF 56 that is awesome and I think from 2006 (MPC Computers, not Micron Technology, different companies) went bankrupt and out of business in 2006. Kicks butt.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I still have to wonder if the fact that my system reserved portion of the hard drive is only 100 MB and that may be why the ~200 MB rollups won't install while smaller update tend to in Windows Update has any relation to my situation.

Can you reset the partitions without reloading? HOW? I'm getting tired of redoing this every few months when the drive is healthy. And I have to espouse the conspiracy theory that the rollups were more about making you get 10 than making sure you didn't hide things they felt were important to install.

And of course, now people are just hiding the rollups or turning Windows Update off. NICE JOB.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I still have to wonder if the fact that my system reserved portion of the hard drive is only 100 MB and that may be why the ~200 MB rollups won't install while smaller update tend to in Windows Update has any relation to my situation.

Can you reset the partitions without reloading? HOW? I'm getting tired of redoing this every few months when the drive is healthy. And I have to espouse the conspiracy theory that the rollups were more about making you get 10 than making sure you didn't hide things they felt were important to install.

And of course, now people are just hiding the rollups or turning Windows Update off. NICE JOB.
I thought for some reason that the partitioning you mentioned may well be the issue however I know not what to say as far as a fix. In the past I have used some partitioning software but scary with a system that I have data on I do not want to loose. To be perfectly 100% honest (I know I will get beat up over this if any computer nerds read this) I have quite a few machines in the past that I have never updated from day one of loading the windows OS. As I said earlier, the best antivirus for me anyway is a careful finger on the left mouse clicker. Sure, I run windows defender and have malwarebytes handy but that's about it. I hope you come back on after you nail this down, I would like to know what fixed it.