EQ's : share your thoughts

482i

I used to use it in my guitar rack setup but since dismantled it. I use tube amps primarily now

I do still have one helluva Yamaha dual 1/3 octave EQ from the rack that I am not using but I am keeping my Eventide H3000 for when I need to get my Steve Vai on. Not sure what to do with the eq though, it's incredible for recording though

Oh man...I always wanted an Ultra Harmonizer for the rack (guitar and studio). Billy Corgan did some amazing stuff with Eventide gear......

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Oh man...I always wanted an Ultra Harmonizer for the rack (guitar and studio). Billy Corgan did some amazing stuff with Eventide gear......
Yeah, it's a cool unit but took me over a month to figure out how to REALLY use it beside the factory presets. I am honestly thinking of going back to a rack setup and selling my Peavey 2x12 all tube 6L6GC driven combo. If I can get a Eleven Rack for cheap, I will. An ADA MP1 would be cool to. I had so much of that stuff and like a dummy got rid of it. The one real regret I have is selling the JMP-1 and 100/100 to finance a Framus Dragon halfstack. I later also had the Framus Cobra. Halfstacks take up a lot of space, a rack setup with good monitors is all I really need since I don't play out anymore and can be tucked in a closet when not used. I also have barely played guitar for the last 3 months, just seem to have lost the desire and taking a break from it. I used to play daily for at least an hour or two

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
The Trainwreck Express is killer! A guy on MLP builds them also as well as other pedals

From what I gather, there is two adjustable waveforms (highs and lows) that the BBE isolates allowing you cut/boost as to your listening/recording needs. A eq only manipulates boosts/cuts frequencies in one 2 channel wave form. I am sure others could explain the process. It's almost like a dynamic recovery unit. It does bring whatever source fed into it alive

EDIT: I miss my old Fenders from when I was a kid. I had a Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb and a Super Reverb
I had a Super Reverb back in the late 70's. It was the master volume model, and I remember it was a cool amp. Had the CTS speakers in it. I missed it so much that I bought a 1969 drip edge Super Reverb back in 1998 or so. Kept it 13 years and sold it for a $400 profit. That was a great amp, but I have a Tweed Bassman RI that I had modded to REAL 1959 specs that sounds even better, so I let the SR go. The Bassman RI amps have slightly different tone control component values, and the presence control is different too. Plus, the early RI's didn't have adjustable bias, so I put one in. Made a big difference.
I now have a 1967 blackface Deluxe Reverb that I got at a pawnshop for ...get this...$250 back in 2002. I put a Warehouse speaker in it and saved the original Oxford. It sounds really nice, and it's loud enough for what I do anymore. If I need to get loud, I go to the Bassman or to a Sovtek Mig 50H that I run into a Marshall 4x10 or a 4x12. The 4x10 Marshall sounds really nice and it's easy to carry too.
I never have had a Princeton though. Those are great little amps, always wanted one.

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
Wow I just realized this thread is still alive. Lots of cool stuff for musicians out there. Something else to plunk down another pile of cash on! Recent purchase of 901's forces an active EQ for function. I find the controls most useful either left alone or to cut at this point.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Quite trippy, John. Are all the equalizers daisy-chained together?

Nando.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Quite trippy, John. Are all the equalizers daisy-chained together?

Nando.
I dug them all out and yes daisy chained them together with an old receiver and some small desktop speakers. I just ran in an mp3 player to show the displays. Of course they look better in person then in the video.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Pioneer SX-727 receiver, John?

Nando.
Good eye, but it is a dumpster find Sansui 5050 receiver. I replaced all the dial lights and that was about it. I am looking for a good home for it though as I don't need it and i has been on my kitchen counter for two years. :rabbit:

Elite-ist

Staff member
It's a classic. I always get drawn to the hue of the backlighting and the silver face. All built to last.

Nando.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yeah hard to tell fro mthe image I posted as the Pio's and Sansuis kind of look the same. At one of my previous employers I found a Yamaha and a Sansui receiver in the dumpster and rescued both of them. Seems to me I sent the Yammie to Steven.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Here is a better image of the Sansui Receiver. It looks like a bulb is out on the right hand side. Also an image i nthe daylight of the eq's
Sansui.jpg

EQ222.jpg

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
The whole control section of the Sansui SE-88 is on a remote control. I have owned the Sanusui since it was new in 1984.

Sansui SE88.JPG

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks for having us join in on the fun. The RC feature on the SE-88 is novel.

Nando.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yeah it was just too cool to pass up in 1984 when I graduated from College.

Here is a better image from the web.

Last edited: