Dynaco C-100 Energy Storage System (Capacitor Bank)

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
The cut sheet and the picture indicates a 220V circuit. Is that what you bought?

I attached a cut sheet for a phase angle controller chip I've used before. When used with modern triacs there is no switching noise and no snubber needed. The drawing shows an electrolytic cap CS with the wrong polarity. Builder beware.

PLmavenman has a stalled project to use a microcontroller softstart.

View attachment 31501
Don I ordered 110volt units. I will study what you posted. For now I will put together the unit as a common rail supplied but the two 1000VA toroidals. I wil use two soft starts, one for each transformer. Then we will see if changes are needed.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Don I ordered 110volt units. I will study what you posted. For now I will put together the unit as a common rail supplied but the two 1000VA toroidals. I wil use two soft starts, one for each transformer. Then we will see if changes are needed.
There is a potential issue I can see. Can you post a schematic of your plan?

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I don't know if Frank is still around, but I'm quite sure Dynaco didn't copy Frank. I visited Frank at his home/office outside Minneapolis a little over 30 years ago. What Frank did was modify Dynaco gear. I recall a modified PAT 5 preamp.

I'll likely see John Peterson of Sound Values/Sound Valves (yes he's still around) this week and get the scoop on the C100 (he had one).
I met with John last Wednesday at the local burger joint. The C-100 came about late in the history of Dynaco. It is believed there were less than 1000 of them built. The folks at the factory were leery of them due to the stored energy in all of the caps. In addition, all of that stored energy had questionable contribution to improved sound. In other words, it's the law of diminishing returns.

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everybody that any stereo has more than enough capability to stop your heart, permanently. It's not a laughing matter. Be careful and take the extra time to let caps discharge before jumping into something. If you don't put on safety glasses every time you turn on a soldering iron ask yourself why. I've got more safety glasses scattered around the house than amplifiers, and I need both hands and feet to count my amplifiers. Above all else be safe.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I met with John last Wednesday at the local burger joint. The C-100 came about late in the history of Dynaco. It is believed there were less than 1000 of them built. The folks at the factory were leery of them due to the stored energy in all of the caps. In addition, all of that stored energy had questionable contribution to improved sound. In other words, it's the law of diminishing returns.

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everybody that any stereo has more than enough capability to stop your heart, permanently. It's not a laughing matter. Be careful and take the extra time to let caps discharge before jumping into something. If you don't put on safety glasses every time you turn on a soldering iron ask yourself why. I've got more safety glasses scattered around the house than amplifiers, and I need both hands and feet to count my amplifiers. Above all else be safe.
Amen Don. Work safe.