Does Oppo still do service?

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Send it to me. I'll take it apart, lose some of the pieces, scratch my head, look for a bigger hammer, remove the stuck DVD, replace the transport with a chineese clone, and send it back to ya. All for no charge.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Just bought a BDP-105 with a rack mount assemblyu....pretty cool...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Counting on it, beins I couldn't afford the Wadia 971 on the bay...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Joe, I don't own a SACD...but man i got the itch now..this is a good step up from the DV-983.../

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You have to get some SACDs to see what that machine will do. I have the UDP-105 and it performs great. I also picked up the UDP-205 but it still sits in the box it came in. Too many projects, too little time.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
What was the final bill on the 205?
I think they were somewhere like ~$1200 on that last build that OPPO did. Seem to recall something in that ballpark. The UDP-105 was something like $600. I ordered both direct from OPPO when they made that announcement about getting out of the player business.

A real shame they gave it up.

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Joe’s recollection is correct. I was also part of that last call email list and I bought the BDP-205. I also have the BDP-105 and the rack chassis was not on Oppos Website as an optional item. And I looked for every option they offered. Rack mount tabs weren’t one of them. But I’m sure if one had enough money and resources, they may know a guy who could make one custom? Remember in the beginning, Tony made the black faceplates for our 700B’s and those looked OEM. You’d be hard pressed to tell it was not from the factory. I’d imagine the ones buying the Audiophile tier reference players, no doubt may have a sysytem in a theater rack and want it mounted there. I’d know I’D sure want to mount it in one too.

Here’s the cold shame. I run the BDP-205 in my theater rack, but don’t own a 4k screen. So I’m loosing out on the great video processing. But I bought the last of the great plasmas right before plasmas exited the market. And it’s been a hard sell for me to get a UHD screen considering most television content is not native 4k. I’m waiting for that tech to catch up. Meanwhile I am NOT depriving myself of the audio. Absolutley get an SACD if you can. The Sabre32 reference DAC is superb, and the audio is amazing on an SACD. Im bummed OPPO got out at the peak of what I believed to be their greatness. Audiophile grade equipment at a more common sense mans price. There are a few speaker companies out there that get praises like that. Golden Ear Technology comes to mind. So enjoy that player lee! You’ll never look back.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Why is it that everyone raves about the outboard DAC sounding so fantastic? Is it just that the onboard DAC chips sound horrible, how can that be if they are using the same $3-$30 chips. These units are not Sony Walkmans, and we are not in the 1980s or 1990s anymore.
DAC Chips -- PCM 1704, ESS 9010, ES9038Q2M, Wolfson WM8740, how are supposed to know which one is really good? Price? Not when they are bought by the thousands. I get it that the more "audiophile" DACs are outboard, but is that not just for convenience when you need a new SACD transport? I'm so confused, I'm all DAC'd up.