David's Phase Linear 700B Thread

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Wow, take a look at the thread regarding Pink Floyd’s use of Phase Linear amps, they used more amps for the low end than the less demanding high side of the speakers.
Naturally.

This picture was taken in 2001. Long before I had this many 700B's. At this particular time in history; I used the PL700B wired in a parallel configuration resulting in what I believe was a 4-ohm load at the time for just the Low end. I ran a single 400 to each set of speakers for the highs. The Speakers are designed and built already in a bi-amped configuration. I use the external electronic xovers for the low and high frequencies to the amps and then there's an internal 2-way xover inside the speaker to further separate the mids and highs at the proper crossover points.

Today, I use the 700B's on the high end too, with the gains down as the high frequencies like you say; are less demanding. I had to replace the 400's as they weren't cutting the mustard on the lows and I don't like running them at low impedances resulting in a very hot amp. I learned that quickly after I built these things 20 years ago, so here I am today with that issue solved.

These days it's ALL PL700B's for everything. I do not own a single PL400. And won't. But I still have these speakers. This is what's represented in the CAD file. This project will just be duplicating MORE...........

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
My point was probably one or two 700Bs for the high and four for the lows. No need for a one to one match.
Agreed. No NEED for it. But the OCD in me prefers the symetrical match. I have more than enough power on the low end. And it’ll probably only get worse when I white Oak them. Then no need to double up on amps for the lows. I’d rather use em to drive yet another pair of speaks.