David's Phase Linear 700B Thread

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
The wood cases are in mint condition too. It took me years to aquire them. They are not that plentiful in that condition these days. Two of the B’s have PL fans on them as well. ......Working on that for the rest.

Saw a dude on the bay that had a couple PL fans for sale. I also have one, maybe we can work out a deal.... I actually have 2 but the one I'd keep just came out of the box. It was NOS but the box was toast.

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
I received a few questions about this particular model number I used. It is still available. They discontinued the light wood version. Which is fine, because I used the Mocha Cherry ones. I also bought two more for my fathers PL400 Rack. I have a black one also for my upstairs system. They are fantastic shelving.

1546199132857.png

Tagline
Saw a dude on the bay that had a couple PL fans for sale. I also have one, maybe we can work out a deal.... I actually have 2 but the one I'd keep just came out of the box. It was NOS but the box was toast.
I've seen that too. $600 in fans to round me out would be a bit too steep for me. Specifically so considering I am not using every one of those. Four total would be nice and two is what I "need'. I do not have a reel to reel in my system as you can see; and I think my father is not willing to part with his TEAC. He has the only one. Doubtful I have anything you would want; but PM me if you want to discuss further on that. I DO have an OPPO BDP-105 that I upgraded from. Lee considered being interested in it once, but I think he was holding out for the 205. Not sure if he ever got that.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yes very nice upgrade Lee. And if you watch blu ray it is a treat. Too bad OPPO decided to hang up new designs in their players. They just kept getting better.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I think they should have charged more for them and improved on the case works more. Then their business model may have kept them in the game

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Have they slowed down on media players in general, or just down this road?
OPPO is totally out of the media player (and other product business as well) business Lee, audio and video. They are going in some different direction or dissolving it seems.

As announced on April 2nd, 2018, OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products. Existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital. The following FAQ provides answers to questions that may arise from the announcement.

From now on, OPPO Digital will focus our main effort on organizing and ensuring long term support for the existing generation of products. As such, we will not have the resources to develop and release new generations of products.

Tagline
I think I had this info screen shot and posted in the Digital thread somewhere under the Oppo headline. I am glad I got the 205 it seems. I had to suck it up and eat PB&J for a while; but it was worth it. The image this thing produces is almost awe inspiring. And if you take the chassis cover off and peer inside.......instant eyegasm. Significant heft (of which I presume is due to the huge toroid along with the case itself) and the SOUND from the dedicated audiophile 2-Channel pre-outs is only described as OPPO-esque.

It is really a shame. They constantly advertised their new headphones and USB Dacs/headphone amps in my sound & vision magazines. It seemed they were literally inventing new products and improvements until the sudden end. They will be missed.

Tagline
BRUH!! Now I know where all the 700Bs are. Very nice.
After a few years Hiatus; I am rebuilding the speaker room. And moving in with me is a second PL700B Rack. I just got the rest of the light boards from Joe. Since it's been a few years, I noticed side-by side; the newer White boards are slightly more white than the older ones. I plan on having both racks at the ends so maybe it won't be too noticeable? I guess if it ticks off my OCD enough.....I'll have Joe make me four more.

Anyone care for an OEM light board?.......................

IMG_2692.JPG

Tagline
Knowing how hard it is for LED pics to turn out nice, that must be awesome in person. Good job on aligning the LED's......
I have to trash at least 12 photo's before getting a good two. That's how it usually is with LED light boards. Finished Installing the last four today.

IMG_2701.JPG IMG_2704.JPG IMG_2705.JPG