Crown Macro Reference Monster amp rework.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I believe EL foils in general start to wake up at about 20VAC. My inverter works with 5VDC and puts out 110 VAC, I tend to remember...no clue about frequency anymore. A good read for a layman like myself, particulary the "hum" notice...yep, should have come across this earlier...although it was't humming, but rather screaming at an annoying frequency: https://www.el-licht.de/elektrolumineszenz/

Edit
Never mind my babbling...looks great!

If yours is "Screaming" toss it out. You got a bad one. If the one I get makes noise, I'll junk it. I don't need the lights to ROCK ON!!!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Just ordered 2 of those inverters above. Gotta wait for them from the UK but I just got the Idler Wheels back from rework, so I'll switch gears.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Who knows how long the inverter was burned out. It could have happened early in it's life and never got 5000 hours. Either way, the higher freq is needed. I see they like 400-800 hz to brighten. The voltage won't do it alone. Even if the foils are old and not at peak glow, I can put new ones on but need a 6VDC 400HZ inverter which I have found. I'm trying to get one here in the US but I will order from the UK if I need to.
Right in your peak audio spectrum...what were they thinking?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
HUH????

I went through the circuit yesterday and did some reflowing of the EL Power Supply and then I fired it up. I now have front panel display WOOOOHOOOOO. I hooked up my Ipod into the back of the amp for a quick test. It didn't like something. I popped out the PIP Module and flipped the switched over from Balanced to RCA's and the amp came to life, sort of. The left channel sounded great, The only other issue is I have low power and some distortion in the right channel. But, it is NOT in protection anymore but I think I have a a right channel Bias or driver issue. With 3 shorted output transistors it probably took out the driver too. Time to do a little troubleshooting.. It has to wait till the Rek O Kut cabinet gets a little further.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I changed out the driver transistors and did all the bias adjustments. It sounds awesome. No more issues now. The display lights up correctly although it's a little dim but it works correctly. I have it down on the bench with the Ipod plugged straight into it and my set of Epicure 20+ speakers and even without a preamp hooked to it, it sounds incredible. Almost time for a little paint work and some detailing. I'm pleased. Cool.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
HUH????

I went through the circuit yesterday and did some reflowing of the EL Power Supply and then I fired it up. I now have front panel display WOOOOHOOOOO. I hooked up my Ipod into the back of the amp for a quick test. It didn't like something. I popped out the PIP Module and flipped the switched over from Balanced to RCA's and the amp came to life, sort of. The left channel sounded great, The only other issue is I have low power and some distortion in the right channel. But, it is NOT in protection anymore but I think I have a a right channel Bias or driver issue. With 3 shorted output transistors it probably took out the driver too. Time to do a little troubleshooting.. It has to wait till the Rek O Kut cabinet gets a little further.
Since buying a B&L stereo microscope, I have been amazed at the solder issues I have seen in any number of decades-old stuff I have worked on. Wave soldered boards have varied quality joints, with larger lead components usually being the biggest culprit.
Rule of thumb…inspect everything under magnification and reflow anything suspicious looking (which ends up being pretty much everything) before working on it.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Since buying a B&L stereo microscope, I have been amazed at the solder issues I have seen in any number of decades-old stuff I have worked on. Wave soldered boards have varied quality joints, with larger lead components usually being the biggest culprit.
Rule of thumb…inspect everything under magnification and reflow anything suspicious looking (which ends up being pretty much everything) before working on it.
Especially us old guys with failing vision.