Cory's Phase Linear 2000 Ser II Restoration

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I am getting 4 pieces from Cory, who lives in Montana. Another referral from Dave, Thanks Dave.,
The 2000 Ser II got unpacked first so it's first. Brown-Dog adapters with the Burr-rown op-amps, new caps, new TIS's and a THOROUGH CLEANING of pots and switches. Doing "before" testing now.

Some test results.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Caps in. Replaced with Nichicon "Muse", Nichicon "KW", Panasonic "FM", "FC", and Elna RFS Silmic II's. The TIS 97's replaced with new Fairchild units, and the RC4136 op-amp with a Brown-Dog adapter with Burr-Brown 2134U's.

The closeups are of some classic "cold" solder joints.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The rest of the measurements. All the afters are with the RC4739 op-amps left in. Joe is working on specing a replacement. It appears there is some improvemenmt. Listening to it now----

Source----Onix---CD-1
Pre-Amp--The aforementioned 2000 Ser II
Amp--- Chris's Mondo Spec 2

Sounds damn good. Playing with the "Ambience" control definately changes the sound.

Attachments

calman46

Journeyman
Time to upgrade my Phase linear 2000 ser II . You used Brown Dog p/n 060601 adapter with 2 OPA2134 IC's correct ?. What did you use for the TIS917 ? The Fairchild site search didn't show a replacement .Thanks

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I used TIS 97's. Had bought a bunch before they went obsolete. The Burr Browns did ok in place of the 4136's, but not on the 4739's. The 4739 is a very weird animal, don't mess with it.

calman46

Journeyman
I think I'll recapped it and play it stock for now. I noticed Brown dog gives you 3 options for the 4136's will the other 2 work also ?
I am missing the aluminum knob caps for the left Bass and Treble if anybody has some they would sell.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Do you want one to upgrade to the White Oak stuff or do you want an original restored??

calman46

Journeyman
I started the upgrade on my 2000 Series Two . I'm following the thread but have a question on the 2.2 caps back to back on the outputs . Would a good film cap here be better ? The two 2.2uf 50v caps back to back are like one 1.5uf NP cap correct ? I'm also going to add some Dynamat to the frame for weight if for nothing else .I have all the nobs but two are missing the metal covers . I maybe look for heavier knobs too.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Try "Handmade Electronics " for the knobs, they had one that was a killer 700B replacement. Are you talking the 2.2 in series or parallel??

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
A 1.5 poly would be doable..BUT!!!!, as an output coupling cap/filter I don't know if it will handle the signal the same. I think a polarized cap is called for here.

Last edited: