cleaning female RCA input jacks

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I use Deoxit on restorations, i.e. equipment that hasn't been in service a while and/or cleaned in forever.
On my current rack of stuff, I use some Cardas/MoFi knock-off brand contact cleaner I've had around for more than 10 years.
Can't remember the name of it. It seems to keep the contact surfaces from oxidizing as fast.
I have enough of it to last well past my usefulness on this planet. :confused1:

In either instance, the trusty old pipe cleaner is the ticket. I keep cleaning until I get a pipe cleaner with little-to-no residue.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
I use a pipe cleaner dipped in Deoxit. Pls, fill me in re red vs gold.
De-oxit red (the cleaning solution - used to come in a small bottle/red liquid) used to actually clean heavy oxidation. The de-oxit gold (came in a small spray can) does have some cleaning capabilities but is more of a final coat for better contact.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
De-oxit red (the cleaning solution - used to come in a small bottle/red liquid) used to actually clean heavy oxidation. The de-oxit gold (came in a small spray can) does have some cleaning capabilities but is more of a final coat for better contact.
OK, thanks!

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
i actually polish them mechanically. heavy paper works well, or extremely fine sandpaper if they're too crusty. 1500 grit or finer, and a very light touch. I've never been overly impressed with what connectors look like after a DeOxit bath. they usually just look as dirty as they did before, plus they are covered in an oily residue that is a pain in the neck to get rid of. The oily stuff attracts dirt, which is most of the problem to start with.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
On the heavy stuff I use a 1/8" carbide burr run by hand then De-oxit 100, then de-oxit D5 to flush..

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Shipping & handling on small stuff, when you rely on FedEx or UPS, is going to be around 10 bucks for the continental US. That's just reality.
A USPS option would have been nice but some small businesses don't like messing around with the post office - and I can say I can't blame them.

Add something else, small, to the order and maximize the shipping coin spent ! ;-)

Nick Danger

Shipping & handling on small stuff, when you rely on FedEx or UPS, is going to be around 10 bucks for the continental US. That's just reality.
A USPS option would have been nice but some small businesses don't like messing around with the post office - and I can say I can't blame them.

Add something else, small, to the order and maximize the shipping coin spent ! ;-)
Think they offer free shipping on orders over $100.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I just ordered a bunch, for me & local pals. Shipping was less than 12 bucks for FedEx 2-day. Time is money ... ;-)