Cheap cassettes at *Warmalt

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
8 track all the way. Especially in your car in the winter
I’ll see your 8-track in the winter and raise you a 1977 Ford Econoline with purple shag interior with “U” shaped seating and a “coffee table” in the center of it. Scooby Doo “Mystery Machine” graphics optional…

Retraction: Full moon shining on mushrooms graphic.

Last edited:

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I did finally get the "crazy eights" tape I did as a last hurrah over at the other site, if anyone would like a copy.

All material was from 8-track and it is recorded on an early SA-C90 cassette. I'll digitize, normalize* and re-record if anyone wants it. (Some members here may have contributed if you recall that project). *necessary to get the levels in line...

ANYWAY,

The real reason I replied was to mention that although Maulwart tapes are cheap, at roughly $2 each, NOS TDK D60/90 tapes can be had for $2 each as well...

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
DAT- You will not keep them running and Richard Hess in a conversation back in 2007 told me to get all audio off of that format and stop using it- there are no parts made since 1997 and that format is dead as is the 8 track cartridge. Cassettes can do very well if you don't buy a garbage Ion deck to evaluate the format. Why are all these people using Nakamichi and Tascam decks without any problems. Tape hiss- it is there if you go looking for it but also for Reel decks too. The qualifier is you have to go looking for it. Most good decks it is down at least 46dB and even more some into -60dB without noise reduction. Dolby B works for about 9dB noise reduction but it has a negative psycho-accoustic effect to some even though I have shown people that it does not cut the highs as they exclaim. I use it all the time to encode and then decoding is optional.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
8 Track was never state of the Art as it was horrible it's whole existance. Machines with no pinch roller and cartridges with plastic roller in them and lubricated tape that is very dirty. If you want to find a format that is the worst ever created the 8 track would be it. I made tapes in high school and sold them but there was a reason they made cassettes and they far surpassed 8 tracks easily. The only cartridge system that was any good was a broadcast cart and these ran at twice the speed and only had 3 tracks in them. I still have some here now.