Cheap cassettes at *Warmalt

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I recorded some Commander Cody on one of them warmalt tapes this evening, and the results are pretty good. I have no dropouts, the levels on both channels match, it biased up just fine, with the peaks being at +7db. There is a teensy bit of hiss heard between tracks, and its not quite as transparent as a good chrome or metal, but hell it cost $2! I recorded it with my Nakamichi BX-300 (3(crystalloy) head, dual capstan, direct drive, pad lifter, A.N.T. mods) and am listening on my Sony TC-K71 (3 head (sendust+ferrite) dual capstan)

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I am going out to the storage at my Dad's old place soon. I think I have about 40 blank cassettes out there in hiding. Snatch em up and bring them over here. Also, anyone ever heard of recording audio for playback using VHS ? From what I have been told it's a kick ass way to record music and play it back. Huge format there but I am willing to try it one day. In fact, I have a bunch of blank VHS tapes and a VHS deck or two laying about. Hell it would not be anywhere near as heavy / big as a 10 inch reel to reel..

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I am going out to the storage at my Dad's old place soon. I think I have about 40 blank cassettes out there in hiding. Snatch em up and bring them over here. Also, anyone ever heard of recording audio for playback using VHS ? From what I have been told it's a kick ass way to record music and play it back. Huge format there but I am willing to try it one day. In fact, I have a bunch of blank VHS tapes and a VHS deck or two laying about. Hell it would not be anywhere near as heavy / big as a 10 inch reel to reel..

It'll still yank your antenna off :)

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
yeah I did a mixtape on VHS hifi audio, the quality was great. you need a pro vcr with VU meters and input volume controls like a Panasonic AG-1970/80, and a lot of vcrs won't play audio without a video signal for some reason. Also those AG-1970/80s are hella expensive, have bad capacitors, and most of 'em were rode hard and put away wet.....maybe look for a Mitsubishi HS-U80 if you have $400 burning a hole in your pocket

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
yeah I did a mixtape on VHS hifi audio, the quality was great. you need a pro vcr with VU meters and input volume controls like a Panasonic AG-1970/80, and a lot of vcrs won't play audio without a video signal for some reason. Also those AG-1970/80s are hella expensive, have bad capacitors, and most of 'em were rode hard and put away wet.....maybe look for a Mitsubishi HS-U80 if you have $400 burning a hole in your pocket
I ain't liking that format so good now. Think I will stick with the RX-202 for now.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
IIRC, VHS hi-fi offered 90db s/n ratio even at the six hour speed. I still have my JVC HR-S6700U but it won’t load a tape. Tape injects, but ejects immediately afterward. Bad sensor somewhere.
I tried an audio only tape once, but the complex load / wrap tape around head process made it clumsy.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I went through the Hi-Fi Stereo VHS phase, but a better alternative is the DAT format. I got an NOS Tascam DA-20 MKII this past week. And I have lots of tapes for it. Surprisingly, DAT blanks are affordable compared to vintage compact cassette tapes.

20210927_162119.jpg

20210930_111424.jpg

20210930_110146.jpg

20210930_110352.jpg

Nando.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
I went through the Hi-Fi Stereo VHS phase, but a better alternative is the DAT format. I got an NOS Tascam DA-20 MKII this past week. And I have lots of tapes for it. Surprisingly, DAT blanks are affordable compared to vintage compact cassette tapes.

View attachment 54662

View attachment 54663

View attachment 54664

View attachment 54665

Nando.
Hi Nando,

I also have one of those which I bought years back but seldom used at the time as home CD recording was just catching on. Will have to hook it up and see if it still works.... I think there are a couple dozen new tapes for it as well if I can find them after the move to WY.

Robert

Robert :)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
It annoyed me no end when around 1990 the band I was in rented a bunch of recording gear for the weekend. Even a $3000 AKG microphone. The result was mediocre.

A former drummer asked me to play bass on a recording of his own tunes. He used a VHS HiFi deck and microphones he had kicking around in his basement. That was a much better recording than what the band got after paying hundreds for renting “pro” gear.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Check with Darcy, he's done that.