Carver 4000t Pre

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Had a request for a Total Rework of a 4000t, including recap, power supply rebuild/modification, and a remote volume kit. It was a bitch. But, it sounds nice, and it works pretty cool. The rework of the volume knob to accept the IR receiver was a trick and a half. He was fine if I wanted to drill into the faceplate, but I can't do that to a 40 year old unit with irreplaceable faces. Just got to detail, and ship.

IMG_4281.jpg IMG_4282.jpg IMG_4283.jpg IMG_4284.jpg IMG_4285.jpg

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Wow. That is innovative. Next time maybe you could fit one in the rack mount handle? or lose the headphone jack. Either way it's a nice addition.

Last edited:

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Makes me paranoid! I'd feel like I'm being watched! Heh...Heh.
Now that your known world wide as the King of the 4000T & swamped with orders, any chance you'll tackle another pre that is not so rare?
The PL4000 series one is the coolest looking evah. Take the challenge of making it one of the sweetest sounding? I want to try. But I don't have your knowledge & talent.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
It would have been easier like Marco said to use a stand alone unit but "gots to do what the customer wants". I went with the IR in the knob like the CT-17. Too bad the knob just about fell apart being old as hell. Then, i chased cold solder joints, had to just about resolder every board. Then, had a loose pin in a IC socket, also the 20k pot was not exactly balanced so i had to add some series resistance so when you turned up the volume, it was balanced perfectly. On the 4000t, the knobs are plastic with an aluminum skin on it so i disassembled the knob and reworked it. The motorized pot takes up some room so i had to move some of the power supply components to the other side of the board and i put some bigger heat sinks(the biggest that would fit) on the + and - voltage regulators ...

Huh?????

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Makes me paranoid! I'd feel like I'm being watched! Heh...Heh.
Now that your known world wide as the King of the 4000T & swamped with orders, any chance you'll tackle another pre that is not so rare?
The PL4000 series one is the coolest looking evah. Take the challenge of making it one of the sweetest sounding? I want to try. But I don't have your knowledge & talent.
What did you have in mind for your 4000? I never take on more jobs than i can handle in a couple week period. Ive had this one for a month which in my book is wayyyyyyy too long but the amount of work and waiting for parts kept it here. Some disco lights maybe? Squirrel scrotum knobs???? The series 1 can be a challenge, its laid out weird and i dont believe it has plug in cards..... but let me know.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Just shipped Big Dave's 4000t with remote upgrade. Now I'm finishing up MY stand-by 4000t which is getting the remote upgrade also but I'm not dicking around with the IR receiver in the knob. I'm putting it in the hole where the headphone jack is. I don't even own a set of head phones so no problem there. It can easily be reversed in a couple minutes if I sell it and the owner needs a headphone jack. I am also just finishing up my Newest WOPL 700B. I named her after an old girlfriend. she's got a sexy oriental name.

IMG_4337.jpg IMG_4338.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Where OLD meets new is sometimes difficult to get nice. The transformer wires are heavy and stiff and the insulation goes POOF quick.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Looks like Phat Ho is a success. She's on the Dumb Bulb Test.... No issues. Burn in for the next 24 hours.... Tomorrow I rock while finishing the 4000t.

IMG_4339.jpg IMG_4341.jpg

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Perry ,
for the next 4000t , I suggest you to use the hole of Auto Threshold to locate
the IR detector and to replace the Manual Threshold led with a
bicolor led (green for auto and red for manual )
Sorry , but I have had this idea right now .
Ciao
Marco

The Wizard

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Just shipped Big Dave's 4000t with remote upgrade. Now I'm finishing up MY stand-by 4000t which is getting the remote upgrade also but I'm not dicking around with the IR receiver in the knob. I'm putting it in the hole where the headphone jack is. I don't even own a set of head phones so no problem there. It can easily be reversed in a couple minutes if I sell it and the owner needs a headphone jack. I am also just finishing up my Newest WOPL 700B. I named her after an old girlfriend. she's got a sexy oriental name.
I think we deserve a picture of this sexy oriental chick. With a name like that, she has to be a beauty :lol:

Don Ho

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Perry ,
for the next 4000t , I suggest you to use the hole of Auto Threshold to locate
the IR detector and to replace the Manual Threshold led with a
bicolor led (green for auto and red for manual )
Sorry , but I have had this idea right now .
Ciao
Marco
The hole for the Auto or manual threshold led is too small, and you have to pull the mother board to do it. I have already had it apart and don't want to do a total disassembly so it is going in the Headphone jack. WAY TOO EASY.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The new WOPL sounds great, really great paired with the 4000t I finished tonight. Still trying tofigure the IRsensor position out. I guess I'll decide tomorrow.

Got another funeral in the morning... Damn dudes are dropping like flies......

IMG_4350.jpg IMG_4351.jpg

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Damn Perry, sorry to hear you lost another friend. I guess we are getting to the age that someday someone is going to say the same thing about us. We can only hope to have friends like you that care enough to go to our funerals. You can carry my urn anytime, just keep Steven's cats away from my ashes. Don't need a scene like on Meet the Parents and Jinxy Cat LMAO

Remember Lee's traveling amp? Maybe I will ask that Deb sends me all to their my for a month so I can hangout with you guys in spirit. Do the Phoenix Tour in style. If you hear the volume get louder, you can believe there is an afterlife

Probably the only way I'd get to sit in the masters chair, just hope the SPL's don't knock my urn over and Jani has to sweep me up and put me in a Cool Whip container

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Putting your ashes in a WOPL and doing the Phoenix Tour??? Thats an IDEA BRO..... hell, I'd tote you around in my saddlebag, no problem.... and, I'll keep the cats away too (have antifreeze, will travel)......

Huh