C-4000 Pre-Amp

frankmarsi

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
2-26-18
Gentlemen, that’s exactly what has happened. I played with the switch till it held/stuck in the ‘on’ position and I’m using a small old ‘Isobar’ strip to power the power distribution/conditioner on only.
I have connected full-time a power distribution/conditioner box that has a 5 second delay for everything else that is connected to it including the amps of course. It’s nice to know the amps (two PL-700 II) come on last.

The C-4000 pre-amp only has low draw items like an FM tuner, three turntables, tape machines, etc. using its outlets so that power-switch wasn’t and isn’t being strained in any way. It must simply be time/use and a worn ‘catching’ piece on the switch itself that’s worn, has somehow moved or is just kaput.

That’s why I asked if there was a way to repair or bend a ‘catch’ ear or something into position to get the original switch to operate properly. The spring tension is there, it’s just intermittently holding and is a drag to use it that way.
Thanks for the advice in any event.

The one good thing is that the wall connected ‘Isobar’ has plugged into it the power/conditioner which in a strong way is helpful because when it storms outside with lightening and such I can completely remove the entire system from the AC line which is a relief in terms of a surge.

In 1975 I once came home after a lighting storm. I was using a roof mounted dedicated FM antenna.
After the storm ended, I went to turn on my PL-4000 pre-amp that was connect to a PL400 amp and nothing happened. I checked everything and still no sound.
The FM tuner was hit through the outside roof antenna and in turn hit the Pre-amp, yet showed no visible signs of damage.
I somehow contacted PL and they said to send the ‘pre’ back to them and they repaired it for free which I felt was very kind of them. After all, it was only about one year old.

But, since I have you two of the stalwarts of this site here; I’ve got 6 PL-400’s sitting here that are all original and in need of repair. Maybe two are working but, I’m afraid of bad things happening, like explosions.
As I’ve indicated the two main amps in system # one were rebuilt by Eddy B. and they operate
flawlessly since 2009. Though I would like to have installed in all of my amps the “Watts-Abundant” relay for that extra margin of safety. In the PL-400s I’d like the better ‘On-Semi’ 219XXXX transistors installed. Then there’s an original PL-700 Series II that I bought last year thats only had a few driver-board ‘caps’ replaced and although it sounds and operates fine (using 4 amp fast-blow fuses in speaker leads) it still has the original XPL909 devices and that
scares me because Eddy B. put the fear of God and bad transistors in me in 2009 as we had many lengthy discussions about such things and the amps I was purchasing.

Are you gents aware of someone in Jersey that would work out a deal to repair all the amps I have?
I was in contact with E.B. before and after his move to CT. but, he’s been tough to make contact with since.

I guess motivation is the real answer here for me to install the new switch and get off of my arse. If I find I can’t, I’ll be in touch with you two fellows.

Best regards, to all.

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I stay busy building just 700B/II's. There are a few guys here that do 400's. Did you talk to Jer? He's in Virginia but it's a lot closer than AZ/WY....

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
2-26-18

But, since I have you two of the stalwarts of this site here; I’ve got 6 PL-400’s sitting here that are all original and in need of repair. Maybe two are working but, I’m afraid of bad things happening, like explosions.
As I’ve indicated the two main amps in system # one were rebuilt by Eddy B. and they operate
flawlessly since 2009. Though I would like to have installed in all of my amps the “Watts-Abundant†relay for that extra margin of safety. In the PL-400s I’d like the better ‘On-Semi’ 219XXXX transistors installed. Then there’s an original PL-700 Series II that I bought last year thats only had a few driver-board ‘caps’ replaced and although it sounds and operates fine (using 4 amp fast-blow fuses in speaker leads) it still has the original XPL909 devices and that
scares me because Eddy B. put the fear of God and bad transistors in me in 2009 as we had many lengthy discussions about such things and the amps I was purchasing.

Are you gents aware of someone in Jersey that would work out a deal to repair all the amps I have?
I was in contact with E.B. before and after his move to CT. but, he’s been tough to make contact with since.

Frank,

I am not difficult to get in touch with.

You should have my phone number and e-mail address.

Ed