BIG BOTTOM^2

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Ahoy b'ys I've rejoined you land lubbers for a while! So I've been listening to my system and said "eff it" it's not right. It's not bad, but it's not right. I'm running two bandpass cabinets at 100hz down and basically I'm beating a dead horse so it's time for a major change. I'm returning the dayton audio 18" sub as it has a defect (coil noise from the get go) and I've just started hacking one of these band pass cabs all to heck. Feels good to wreck shit but also know it may be for the better. What I've noticed is that the dayton 18" adds nothing to the system, just soaks up 1200w and gets lost at any substantial listening level.
I'm abandoning the bandpass and altering one to accept 2 Eminence Definimax 15" drivers. If this pans out, returning the dayton will just about cover the cost of 2 more eminence drivers for the other cabinet. This will work out to 1200w per cabinet ) 600w per speaker which is easier on my drivers. F3 will be 34hz so I'm giving up some extreme low, but I mostly listen to rock music (read: not a club feggit) so I think this will be a big improvement as the numbers look like response over 130dB should be easily achievable once I build both cabinets.

Heres a nudie to tide yas over!

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Damn Dude, I thought maybe you were in Davey Jone's locker...great to have you back....

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Hey Lee! It's good to be back, was a shit go on the ship last time with winter maintenance and what not. We did a major overhaul on one main engine. 10 pistons and liners, balancing gear, rod and main bearings, magna flux and crack welding on the block, on site machining, cylinder heads, friggin turbo charges and after coolers (the turbos are about the size of a Volkswagen) and pretty much everything else you can think of was worked on hence my absence!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Nav: Have you no sense of compassion for a seaman? He's been out on the briny for months and you serve him up all that filet mignon. It's good to have you back AngrySailor. I like hearing your stories from out on the water as much as your latest speaker build.

Nando.

NavLinear

Nav: Have you no sense of compassion for a seaman? He's been out on the briny for months and you serve him up all that filet mignon. It's good to have you back AngrySailor. I like hearing your stories from out on the water as much as your latest speaker build.

Nando.
Nando,

Since I work for the Navy nothing short of extreme torment is expected! Nothing butt the best for our AngrySailor!

The builds are exceptional and I enjoy them too.

Nav

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Damn! You're damn right we don't have any built like that on the high seas! You know you've been out too long when the old cook starts looking like you'd hit it!

I've got all the cabinet bracing done and have just started to work on the speaker board now. I ran the porting calculations online but I'm not sure if it's right due to using two drivers in one cabinet. If anyone has modelling software, if you could check my numbers that would be great. I can provide volumes and speaker specs. Otherwise, I'm going with what I figured and will test with a sine wave generator before boxing it up with glue.

Should be be testing it later today I all goes well.

Cheers

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right

Nando.

Heres a a sailing story for ya:

One ship I sailed on we had two women on board, the chief cook and an oiler. They were both umm "ham beasts". They would always sit in the mess while we were eating and talk about their vibrators "Freddy" and "Walter" respectively. This one day the conversation goes something along these lines: "Freddy has three speeds", "oh yeah? Walter has five", "Freddy plugs into the wall so I never run out of batteries on long voyages". And so on... So these ships typically have three generators which are about 850kw a piece. When sailing in open water we run the one generator, if the captain requires the bow thruster or any other equipment requiring substantial power, we synchronize another to the board. We're sailing along on one genny and we have a blackout. Fack!!!! The 2nd Engineer and I get the ship powered back up and get the bridge back in control, All's good. The second gets a wicked grin and says "watch this", he grabs the old sound powered phone and cranks the galley. The cook answers and he says "now so and so, I thought I told you if you were going to plug Freddy in that you have to call for a second generator". I hear screaming through the phone, something about the second applying a vacuum to phallus' and so on. He hangs the phone up and we gtfo of the control room. We hide behind the pony boiler as the elevator door opens. It's so and so in her chefs white moo moo with a wooden spoon covered in mashed potatoes. She looks in the control room for us, then stands on the upper machinery deck looking over the main engine screaming that she "knows we're down here!" And she's gonna figure out which one of us it was!

I was was a little suspicious of my meals the rest of that trip!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Things just flyin' along here! Might actually make some noise soon. It's just sitting on top of the cabinet right now as I bolt the drivers down and wire it, but a gentle tap on the cone sounds promising tuning wise. Keeping my fingers crossed for 40hz!

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Things just flyin' along here! Might actually make some noise soon. It's just sitting on top of the cabinet right now as I bolt the drivers down and wire it, but a gentle tap on the cone sounds promising tuning wise. Keeping my fingers crossed for 40hz!

40HZ is what you are gunning for as a low?? BTW, that tractor is the CORRECT COLOR, grew up on the seat of those things. Running up and down bean, beet and corn rows, cultivating , ditching, diggin and choppin.....

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
40HZ is what you are gunning for as a low?? BTW, that tractor is the CORRECT COLOR, grew up on the seat of those things. Running up and down bean, beet and corn rows, cultivating , ditching, diggin and choppin.....
Yeah that tractor is the cats ass for what I need! I have about 5 acres of grass to cut and we use it to blow snow in the winter. Couldn't do without it!

Yes 40hz is the resonant frequency I'm looking for. This will give me -3dB at about 35hz and I've high passed the cabinet at 30hz. To play at the levels I'm looking at with this system, I would really need to use horns to get any lower response. I have a cabinet running below 20hz and while it does add to the system at low listening levels, it gets lost as you turn things up.

I've just fired things up here and she tested out at 38hz:happy2: My band pass was only running up to 100hz and always seemed to have a "boomy" quality about it. This thing sounds good running up to 200hz and doesn't have any objectionable noises. It was a good day today! Got a turkey feed at my girls parents, built a new speaker, now it's time for some "speaker lubricant"!

Attachments