BIG BOTTOM^2

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Darn it Lee, if I can pick on the U S of A, it cuz you guys have some pretty "weak" beer! I was on a ship dry docked in Erie PA. They were feeding us this local beer "yuengling". Happy hour, $1 a beer. Three if us Canadian sea digs drank 75 of them and on of us was a cadet so he don't count! One day I'll tell you the "Michigan 500" story....

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Dude!! That's funny shit right there!! Don't care who ya are!!
The cadet got some poor girl back to to ship(through security), she had some crazy pocket composting vegan agenda. I guess he banged her but she left in the middle of the night pants less... I don't know how she got out past security without ID and PANTS?!?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Maybe security decided it wasn't good to bring attention to the fact she was LEAVING after having been there awhile.....

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
We talking speaker bass or sea bass in this thread? Great stories - east coasters have the best ones.

Nando.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
We talking speaker bass or sea bass in this thread? Great stories - east coasters have the best ones.

Nando.
Damn Nando, you nailed. I'm not a native east coaster, but as soon as I came out here it was home. I moved from southern Ontario, Canada and really enjoy the small town camaraderie out here but damn do we have some characters out here! It's very tame crime wise, I don't worry about locking my doors at all. Mostly locals drinking too much (shine) brings the police out. We have one police station for an area half the size of say the state of Delaware. So you have to try pretty had to get a police response! I worked in western Canada and the natives had a lot of social problems with alcohol and drugs/huffing gas and whatnot, out here it's just the odd drunk fisherman putting his atv in the ditch leaving the bar.

So back to the sea bass, I got the second cabinet built. It sounds much tighter than the band pass. At loud (LOUD) levels it's hands down better and makes proper use of pro audio gear. That said, at low levels, it takes a bit to get rockin' and I miss the extreme low response of the 18" bandpass. At any level above loud talking over the stereo, this is a major improvement. In my living room, I would look for proper response at "indoor" listening levels.

I will ill be starting into my "indoor" build hopefully this summer using the PL and other vintage gear. We'll see where that goes but I'm looking for old school with that build. I finally got my father to part with the pioneer RT-707 and I will be restoring the Michel turntable also. Succeeded with building a night club, time to make a vintage man cave!

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Hey guys, I just wanted to add one last thing to this thread. After all the changes these cabinets have been through and all the different amplifiers thrown at them, what I've learned is something that I've known for years from the hot rod/racing scene. That is that "there is no replacement for displacement".

After giving each band pass 850w, then giving the dual 15" cabinet 1200w, 1700w, then 3200w there was very little increase in output by adding power. By adding another cabinet with two more 15" drivers, each cabinet now receives 1200w (parallel wiring so each driver receives 600w) the increase in output is phenomenal. So much so that I had to dial the low frequency amp back 8dB to remain balanced tone wise. These PL amps were monsters to begin with and I can't wait to WOPL one, but think about adding drivers to go with all that power!

I guess you could relate it to a '69 396SS Camaro at the drag strip with slicks vs the same car with F78-14 bias plys...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Hey guys, been away for a while working at other stuff and real working also. A while back I over applied some "speaker lubricant" and had a melt down. Finally getting around to installing some recone kits. I've been real busy, worked 6 months straight with only 13 days off between July and the end of December, quit that company because of shit crew schedule and took a new job with a 40/20 rotation. It just happened to come with a raise and promotion :headbang:. I've been working at my shop restoring an antique generator and some stationary engines also, just got to the point where the shop speakers weren't cutting the mustard. I had one of the blown speakers disconnected, didn't sound bad until the voice coil came free and started buzzing. That was the last straw, tear everything apart and fix it!

I'm gonna have to lurk as it's been a while
since I checked in, probably lots to catch up on!

-Andrew

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Finished all the glue work tonight. Had to make a little steam kettle... the cyanoacrylate didn't want to harden... pretty low humidity in the shop, so I boiled some water in that can and aimed the hose at the wet adhesive. It dried almost instantly. I will order a bottle of activator for the next two. Just the leads to solder tomorrow and dope the surround and cone then they're done. Will probably reassemble the cabinet when I return from work.

Attachments

Last edited: