Aw poop! PL400 fried!

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Replaced PS fuses today, went to do a DBT startup but pushed the switch the wrong way, so it went into a full current startup.

The odor of ozone and burned components came afterward...

So... Where do I go from here?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
wow sorry to see this... it just blew a fuse one day and this is the end result?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I don't know if either Lee or Joe have test beds or fixtures for these boards but if they do I would pull that board and ask to send it to one of them.....

MarkWComer

Tagline
Pulled the MJ21195G that corresponds to the burned emitter resistor...

Base to emitter shows almost straight short- .5Ω
Same thing with base to collector (regardless of DVM polarity)
Emitter to collector also shows the same result.

Looks like a transistor failed...

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
If transistor failed and blew the fuse before it burned every thing up wonder why it didn't just blow the fuse again?

MarkWComer

Tagline
If transistor failed and blew the fuse before it burned every thing up wonder why it didn't just blow the fuse again?
So do I! Previous fuses were rated 35v, new fuses rated 250v. Hmmm...

MarkWComer

Tagline
voltage rating should not be a factor, only current and speed rating e.g. fast or slow blo
Yes- just learned that myself this week. They're 8a fast blo. Apparently they're not-fast-enuff blo!

Consulting the BOM, getting a parts order up, and training myself not to throw the switch in the wrong direction.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
8 amp fuse is what factory fuse should be.... wopls are no longer factory I wonder if we should be dropping the 8 amp fuse to a lower amperage fuse for wopl builds? Guess Joe would need to input on that

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Rails should be 5 amp, although a lot of 8 s are run. Mark , the short took out the fuse, when you put in a new one the additional time of current flow allowed the additional damage...

MarkWComer

Tagline
Rails should be 5 amp, although a lot of 8 s are run. Mark , the short took out the fuse, when you put in a new one the additional time of current flow allowed the additional damage...
Duly noted- add 5 amp fuses to the parts order. I went with what was indicated on the chassis cover.

Still can't believe I'm such a bonehead to flip the switch in the opposite direction. Shit...

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very sorry to hear this Mark.

I'm not understanding throwing the switch the wrong way part, can anyone explain that to us dummies? THXS!
I think he built a dim bulb tester with a switch to bipass the bulb

MarkWComer

Tagline
I'm very sorry to hear this Mark.

I'm not understanding throwing the switch the wrong way part, can anyone explain that to us dummies? THXS!
I made my DBT device from a wall outlet, a wall receptacle box, and a SPDT toggle switch. I can use any standard table lamp as the light bulb portion of the device. The toggle switch will either put the lamp in series with the device to be tested or provide a straight connection to AC supply.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/83WSNeOsFJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Mark, I did something similar to mine but made it so I had to physically unplug the amp from one socket and plug it in to the other socket...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And this is just a guess Mark, but I have done the same thing when not checking to see if the fuse "went nuklar"....always a bad sign....