A's Front Door Service 400 WOPL'in...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I thought the White Oak kit had the caps stacked instead of a more standard 2 cap layout. Did Joe change these up? Looks good to me if he did ! !

http://www.whiteoakaudio.com/PL400_Cap_Assy.aspx
We have both in the price list. 12KuF/100V single in 40mm diameter for the clamps (kit comes with clamps to fit) for the very early, 4 fin side wall mounted PL400s and 16.8KuF/100V 35mm diameter for transformer cradle mounting in the later 8 fin PL400s.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Jer, you got hook ups, I need a Prism dScope Series III (Old and used). They were 6K new
Shit.. not me LOL. Ebay is where I get my schtuff nowadays.

If I ever get offa my collective butt, I could write some test software utilizing the 8903A/B HP/Agilent with that 488 to USB converter I have (seriously... it does what it should and is around 100.00). I had it half working to a point where I could input a certain output voltage I wanted, and it would ratchet up the input to the amp.. measuring after each increment until it reached the voltage specified.

That and whatever is out there for the equivalent of the "PIU" for switching .. test harness.. hmmmm..

Correction.. looks like it went up in price, but might still be around somewhere..

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/549

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I thought I saw a web site with the scripts and shit already written. If you did write it, I'd pay you to use it. I need a good piece of test equip but I need the computer interface for ease of data collection.

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Jerry - getting really pumped for this! I hope you wear ear plugs when you've got it cranked like that. When I had this amp in stock form and took it for a test run, I don't think I pushed it past -5 on the meters!

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
tick...tick...tick....Anticipation

You will be very timid cranking it at first until you realize that everything coming out is so clear without distortion....until your ears bleed!!!

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks again Jerry!! Loving this WOPL400 so far. Here's just a little taste of it cranked to about the 12 o'clock position on my preamp. Meters peaking at around -5db...just about as loud as I would ever need to go in my small basement space! Obviously, the phone microphone doesn't do this thing justice, but hopefully you can get an idea of the detail and clarity.

The artist is Jenny Lewis, one of my favorite female musicians. She's easy on the eyes too. Check her out!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y05tsJ21ypg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
And.. it's back in the shop (that ole full disclosure thing like Lee's said a few times lol)...

Left channel has intermittent gain. It appears to be the I.C. socket for the op amp, as pressing on it will make the signal go up and down. Tried to reflow the socket real quick, but time was short. Going to yank the socket and clean up on the traces a bit, then try it that way...

Ahhh.. bummer.. minor issue but irritating..

AZG

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks for all of your help with this, Jer! I've been missing my beloved 400 a lot lately...my PL300 just doesn't have the same vibrance and pep :roll:

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Thanks for all of your help with this, Jer! I've been missing my beloved 400 a lot lately...my PL300 just doesn't have the same vibrance and pep :roll:
Still working on the bugger, Aaron. Has to be a bad connection somewhere up in the upper-left corner. Again what is strange is I can "flick" on the corner all I want and not get the left channel to "drop" in gain, but just a couple of taps on the front panel while attached throws it off again.

Going to need to start with the skeezer and go point to point for all connections... will be time consuming or not depending on how many I check before finding "it".. :scratch:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Check the board ground points and component ground points first with that description....