Anyone have a PDF or link to a PL 3300 Series II service manual?

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Great and thanks!!

I looked more closely than before and saw, on the headphone jack's terminals, the insulation remnants of the yellow and black wires. Now that I know what goes where, I'll concoct a way to wire them together again (since I don't have that connector) and see what happens.

But now I'm wondering why they were disconnected in the first place?

62vauxhall

Tagline
The headphone jack is re-connected and it now has output. Not as much as I think it should have because with volume up full, the headphones are just moderately loud. I have yet to haul out the substitute pre and hook this one up again. Could be that the Discman I used as a source was not outputting as much as it should.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Yes, the dB switch was out and the Discman I was using was a little shy on juice going to the pre.

Hooked into my system, headphone volume was greater than with the Discman but still not as loud as I thought it should be. It has been a long time since I listened with headphones and the last amp I plugged them into was a Kenwood Model 600 and it seemed that it would make my ears ring for most of the next day.

Since the other pre (NAD Monitor 1000) was still in service, I also tried headphones into it and there was little difference in volume between it and the 3300 II so it seems all is good.

Something I've always wanted to do here at home was a fast A/B comparison between pre-amps so I did that using a phono switcher. Switching between the NAD and PL during different portions of a single vinyl track made me conclude that I like the PL better. There didn't appear to be a significant difference in the bass area but vocals and mid/high range instruments sounded more distinct through the PL. When I get my Hafler DH-101 finished, I'm going to make the same comparison.

Could be my prejudice about op-amps is unfounded.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The new rev E control boards have the Burr-Brown OPA-134 op amps in the front end, and they sound damn good...