Anyone have a PDF or link to a PL 3300 Series II service manual?

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Trying to get the headphone amp section going in a PL 3300 II preamp - I suspect it may not be getting power. A schematic and/or pictorial of the board's top and bottom would be helpful.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Found: stub of orange wire snipped from headphone jack terminal #4

Thanks Lee, thanks Nav for providing that material,

Had a read through the troubleshooting section with regards to "no headphone output" and the suggestion is to check Pin 6 of Z104. It also says to use an AC voltmeter and an oscilloscope. I have a DMM but no scope. Nothing was mentioned about a signal source but unless a recorded 30 Hz test tone on a CD will do, I can probably borrow a frequency generator again and perhaps even a scope although I've never used one before. If there is undistorted output at Z104 pin 6, I am to check and/or replace Q101/201 & Q201/Q202.

One thing I saw on close examination of the headphone jack itself was the stub of an orange insulated wire soldered to lug #4. My schematic reading skills are not great and I have not been able to locate where this wire may go. Any educated guesses as to what it attaches to? Long shot hope is that this missing wire is is why the headphone jack is dead.

Phase Linear 3300 II headphone jack 1.jpg Phase Linear 3300 II headphone jack.jpg

FWIW, I checked the switched amplifier output jacks and inserting a headphone plug interrupts the output signal as it is supposed to, just no signal going to the headphones.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Gary, can you take a pic of the inside showing the phone plug and wires and where they go.....seems to me there was something strange about that one...

62vauxhall

Tagline
Had to do an edit - forgot to include them on the first go.

The other wires go to a 5 pin Molex type plug that fits onto corresponding pins on the PC board. That orange one would have gone someplace else.

Phase Linear 3300 II headphone jack 3.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
That was the only plug floating around there?? In a 3300 I remember two harnesses , one added by someone else.

Downstream of R129, and R229 should be left and right signal.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
With the ground wire that shopuld be 3 wires. The other 2 looks like they form the switch to shut off the main outputs. What are transisitors q101, 102, 103, 104?

fitz43

One thing I saw on close examination of the headphone jack itself was the stub of an orange insulated wire soldered to lug #4. My schematic reading skills are not great and I have not been able to locate where this wire may go. Any educated guesses as to what it attaches to? Long shot hope is that this missing wire is is why the headphone jack is dead.
Gary, I'll pop the top of mine and take a photo when I get home. I'm in Washington now. Doug

62vauxhall

Tagline
laatsch55
That was the only plug floating around there?? In a 3300 I remember two harnesses , one added by someone else.

laatsch55
With the ground wire that shopuld be 3 wires. The other 2 looks like they form the switch to shut off the main outputs. What are transisitors q101, 102, 103, 104?

I've been up for 19 hours so can't see straight and need to go to sleep now - I'll have to deal with this tomorrow.

NavLinear

Thanks Lee, thanks Nav for providing that material,

Had a read through the troubleshooting section with regards to "no headphone output" and the suggestion is to check Pin 6 of Z104. It also says to use an AC voltmeter and an oscilloscope. I have a DMM but no scope. Nothing was mentioned about a signal source but unless a recorded 30 Hz test tone on a CD will do, I can probably borrow a frequency generator again and perhaps even a scope although I've never used one before. If there is undistorted output at Z104 pin 6, I am to check and/or replace Q101/201 & Q201/Q202.

FWIW, I checked the switched amplifier output jacks and inserting a headphone plug interrupts the output signal as it is supposed to, just no signal going to the headphones.
You should have three wires going to J2 in the head phone amp section located to the right of the jack. On mine I have an orange, yellow and black wire from the jack to J2. It looks like those wires were removed.

NavLinear

If you look in section D2 of the schematic you'll see the headphone jack. It does not reference wire color though.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Shouldn't be a problem though, the tip and the next land will be signal and the base of the plug will be ground. Should be easy to figure out. The other two wires form a switch in the jack to cut output to the main out pre jacks...

62vauxhall

Tagline

I just started looking at this again but have now been recruited to do some furniture shifting. At least I get lunch and she's a really good cook so I'm off to North Vancouver for a few hours.

After I went to bed last night, I was thinking about your comment of "only plug". There is actually a 2nd unused 3 pin connector situated near the balance control. I thought it might be a hold over from this same board being incorperated in a different model pre but now, I guess, it means that there was a 3 wire harness which was removed.

Phase Linear 3300 II unused pin connector.jpg

62vauxhall

Tagline
Gary, I'll pop the top of mine and take a photo when I get home. I'm in Washington now. Doug
Thanks Doug, that would be wonderful. Nav provided a link to a previous post's picture showing a 3 wire twisted bundle (oranage, yellow & black) that would connect to the vacant 3 pin plug near the headphone jack at the front of my board. It wold help immensely if your photo can show where the other ends or the wire connect to and confirm that the sequence at the plug end is orange at the front moist pin - black at the middle - yellow at the rear most.