Anybody worked on or with UREI 6500 amplifiers

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
That's good to hear because I may well be buying 30 or so of them week after next. Ever heard of a fellow named Harry Colby/Kolby? Dude that has the amps said he did all the work on them.

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Make sure you can find documentation on them before you jump and buy. If you don't have skizmo's and parts breakdown, they can be fun to mess with.

Plus, at 90Lbs each, they will be fun to move/ship

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I'd certainly want to listen to em. I haven't had great luck with PA amps sounding good.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Make sure you can find documentation on them before you jump and buy. If you don't have skizmo's and parts breakdown, they can be fun to mess with.

Found this. Last page or so there is a drawing.

Attachments

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?

90 lbs each is another problem. Shipping would be outrageous and not everybody will want to drive to Phenix City Al. to pick one up. I think one reason I like them is that they are so damn ugly. They look like some kind of Si Fi army tank or something.

George S.

Another thing I was thinking about.... Never used any PA type equipment in home Hi Fi.
I'm using two Radio Shack Optimus MPA-200 power amps in the garage. They sound good to me and got good reviews when they came out for home audio use. Obviously not a WOPL, but good amps.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I haven't dealt with UREI since I worked in pro sound in the 80's. I have a few manuals. The DJ mixer was an updated versioin of the classic Bozak. Like all UREI it used all metal film resistors, TLO and NE55xx opamps, film caps etc. Level controls were sealed. Easy to work on. I repaired a couple amps and they were fun to work on. I still have the rumble filter, a necessity then for dealing with warped records and big subs.