Anybody recommended for arm rewires?

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I've had the Cardas wire sitting on a shelf for 6 months to replace the original AR wire. When I get around to doing it I was going to reuse the old connectors, but on second thought, better get new ones.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I've had the Cardas wire sitting on a shelf for 6 months to replace the original AR wire. When I get around to doing it I was going to reuse the old connectors, but on second thought, better get new ones.

The connectors are cheap. I wouldn't think twice about it. Trying to save a dollar WILL bite ya in the ass every time.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The connectors are cheap. I wouldn't think twice about it. Trying to save a dollar WILL bite ya in the ass every time.

Plus, the cart connectors are prone to wear depending if you like to roll carts. some have little springs inside for positive connection which will wear, and if you are ham fisted..... change them with the wire. I don't roll carts (or tubes). Your kit sounds good, or it don't. AND, at $500 for a cart, I aint rolling shit cept maybe a dube.......

George S.

Thanks Perry, just ordered the Cardas gold clips. Now to find the time to rebuild the old AR XB. The original clips are rather basic, nothing like the Cardas, which should be a improvement.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Can't go wrong with Cardas. I use the Cardas RCA's on my WOPL builds, and I used the wire and clips on my rega arm, and the Technics I did. They make good shit.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I’ve never put tags on, but I think it’s go like the Amphenol- tin the wire (nice trick in the video!) and also tin the tag. Then heat the tag to reflow the solder and once flowing place the wire in, wait for it to wet and then get the iron off.

Is there another way to do it?

George S.

Been thinking about it this morning. I'd be hesitant about tinning the clip before inserting the wire, as the Cardas clips I ordered look like barrel construction.
Thinking I'm going to tin the wire. Then get the wire into the barrel using a "third hand" to hold wire and clip in a vertical position. Barrel end that connects to the cartridge being up. Then solder using a long pointed SMD tip. Gravity will help keep the solder where I want it if I don't overfill it.
Of course this may change once I receive the clips and really see what they look like. Gotta be careful soldering anything with real gold plating, solder really wets and flows fast.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I’ve never put tags on, but I think it’s go like the Amphenol- tin the wire (nice trick in the video!) and also tin the tag. Then heat the tag to reflow the solder and once flowing place the wire in, wait for it to wet and then get the iron off.

Is there another way to do it?
Yep, send your arm in for it.