Anybody recommended for arm rewires?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I was thinking of sending in my Rek O Kut (Pickering 190D) arm for a fresh stereo rewire. I think I'll look for a new Pickering XV15 and I'll do the airbrush of the arm (Lime Green???). I've had many people recommending that I sink the time and effort of restoring the turntable and cabinet. I'm not hip on the industrial gray so I MAY try a different color. The cab is going to be "Fun" to repaint. It's big.... Anybody have an idea for color besides Gray or black??? I know they were tools for the radio stations so the gray was appropriate but it's so boring. Satin black might be ok, clear coated for ease of dusting. There are not many out there of this model to see them in different colors and will it hurt the value?? Hmmmmm

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
There's 2 Pickering 190Ds on epay right now for $150 BIN...... Usually old tonearms are easy to yank some wires thru. VHT Black Wrinkle Finish?

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Looks like it should be fairly straightforward. But sfrost on ak does this in NJ and Alfred does SMEs in Canada.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
There's 2 Pickering 190Ds on epay right now for $150 BIN...... Usually old tonearms are easy to yank some wires thru. VHT Black Wrinkle Finish?

Yeah, those are model 190, mine is a 190D, the last iteration. Don't know what the differences were though. 190D's sold not long ago for between $100 and $275 depending on where you look. A NOS one in the box went for $325. Anyway, rewired, and sanded/painted/new Cart and it should be a solid performer. Some guys sold them because the arms are ugly but in shootouts, the purdy arms didn't beat it out. The straight arm sounded as good or better. Just fuglier.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yeah, those are model 190, mine is a 190D, the last iteration. Don't know what the differences were though. 190D's sold not long ago for between $100 and $275 depending on where you look. A NOS one in the box went for $325. Anyway, rewired, and sanded/painted/new Cart and it should be a solid performer. Some guys sold them because the arms are ugly but in shootouts, the purdy arms didn't beat it out. The straight arm sounded as good or better. Just fuglier.
A lot of fans like that fuglyness Perry.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I’d do the two-sheen black.

Piano black with satin or flat contrast. Similar to the matte with gloss logo of my original Rega plinth.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
If the arm has a screw holding the collar in place, rewiring is easy. Buy a length of Cardas tone arm wire on ebay (really nice stuff) Solder Cardas ends to the existing wires, remove the collar and gently pull the wires through the right angle at the pivot. Leave at least 2" of extra wire in a coil when you solder to the terminals, just in case....

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
If the arm has a screw holding the collar in place, rewiring is easy. Buy a length of Cardas tone arm wire on ebay (really nice stuff) Solder Cardas ends to the existing wires, remove the collar and gently pull the wires through the right angle at the pivot. Leave at least 2" of extra wire in a coil when you solder to the terminals, just in case....
Yep did that exactly on my 190, Cardas cable and everything. No collar due to the one piece construction of the arm

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I bought 2 feet of the Cardas 33awg 4 conductor shielded tonearm cable and some overpriced cart connectors and had to solder myself (don’t recommend it) both from Parts Connexion. I’m not impressed with the stuff on eBay so that’s why I went that route. Also that stupid wire is enameled litz wire and is a bitch to tin/solder

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I bought 2 feet of the Cardas 33awg 4 conductor shielded tonearm cable and some overpriced cart connectors and had to solder myself (don’t recommend it) both from Parts Connexion. I’m not impressed with the stuff on eBay so that’s why I went that route. Also that stupid wire is enameled litz wire and is a bitch to tin/solder

I saw a video where they used super glue for stripping/soldering the ends. I did it on my TT and it turned out nice. I would rather not do it again but......

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I cannot find anything pre assembled that isn’t crap or stupid expensive, the 4 wire braided (not shielded!) with Cardas clips already soldered is like $90