Any love for CD-R?

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
For the most part I have had good luck with CD-R, just avoid the no-name, 100 for a dollar junk disks. I must have several 100 all recorded with my PC/Sound Forge setup. Nothing in the digital format lasts forever, so be sure to make multiple copies of recordings which you value and can't be replaced.

Robert

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
LOL, I have not touched a CD-R since Napster went down. I still have all the ones I made when I transfered my Napster files to disc. They all still play as far as I know but I have not looked at them since probably 2000, it would be a chore just to locate them at this point

I have a stack of unused ones I picked up a year or so ago at an estate sale, probably will never use them either. No point since I flat out refuse to part with my dbx DX5 cd player (it only plays silverpress cd's)

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Been doing it since '99. The disc to disc machines that do it in real time have been the best I've found but hell...even a lossless file burned to disc can sound pretty darn good.

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Being a consumer deck aimed at the audiophile, it should perform better than your standard CD burner in a PC.
Is that necessarily true? CD Audio has a framework that can't be bypassed, I think that's actually independent of the device that actually burned the disc. There are a number of "colored" book standards (yellow, orange, red, and green book standards) that specify the information recorded onto a CD- the rules have to be followed otherwise you have a collection of iridescent coasters for your cocktail table.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I've used Verbatim Data-Life CD-R discs for many years and they have never let me down.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I'd love to know if your Staples and Sony CD-Rs I sent you over the last four years have stood the test of time...so far they've never failed me in any of Rebel Elf's Machines.

I have at least two CD-Rs older than 15 years...one was made to test MusicMatch Jukebox and the other in 1999.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Your Rebel Elf humbly thanks you.