Any love for CD-R?

Dazen1

Veteran and General Yakker
Despite being a strong supporter of compact discs, I have never been a huge lover of recordable CD.

Anybody here had any positive experiences burning their own audio discs?

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I have had plenty of good experiences burning my own. I use Protools along with a USB turntable for recording records to disc. For copying cassettes to disc, I just hook up my deck direct to the home PC via the Sound Blaster Platinum Live card that has RCA inputs (and a 1/4" guitar jack!!!). Just have to make sure recording levels are consistent for whatever your recording and any software you are using is synced

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I have received CD-R recordings from friends, I have done a few CD-R recordings on the home computer, but none yet from FLAC files. I have a Pioneer CD recorder, but haven't got around to recording with it. Perhaps, I will use one of my current MD Masters to try it out. Is there a particular blank I should be buying for sound quality? What particularly don't you like about CD-R, Daren?

Here's the Pioneer in demo mode:

Click on image to play video:

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
FLAC files need to be converted to .wav files before you can burn them to CD. This is why I dislike them, it's way easier and less time consuming to burn from the original source material

Dazen1

FLAC files need to be converted to .wav files before you can burn them to CD. This is why I dislike them, it's way easier and less time consuming to burn from the original source material
I have only ever been interested in creating compilations by ripping existing CDs as WAV files and then burning to CD-R. I have tried various machines and software yet I have always been disappointed - they sound a little too "thin".

I have not attempted to burn an audio disc for a number of years but it has slightly irritated me that as a lover of the format, this avenue of recording has always been a dead end.

Perhaps I should have experimented more - maybe tried some of those gold MFSL CD-Rs!

Thanks for your feedback.

I have received CD-R recordings from friends, I have done a few CD-R recordings on the home computer, but none yet from FLAC files. I have a Pioneer CD recorder, but haven't got around to recording with it. Perhaps, I will use one of my current MD Masters to try it out. Is there a particular blank I should be buying for sound quality? What particularly don't you like about CD-R, Daren?
Funny thing Nando - I have received some really great sounding discs. Phoenix members Miracle Mile & Glantoir have furnished me with CD-Rs that sound absolutely fine.

As I indictated above, perhaps the choice of media plays a bigger role than I had previously imagined.

I don't plan on messing about with CD-Rs again as optical disc technology is pretty much on the way out but I'd certainly be curious to see how that Pioneer of yours performs.

Miracle Mile

Just a matter of using suitable software, I can burn FLAC files without problems.

dingus

Journeyman
Tagline
crusty old fart
i used to burn cd's with EAC and always had perfect results, though some players can be finicky with cd-r's.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
I'm using Nero burning rom since ever and i use the slowest speed available, i think 6X, it does some nice sounding audio CD's. :evil1:

Daren, i'll burn one for you if you'd like to. :p

Dazen1

I'm using Nero burning rom since ever and i use the slowest speed available, i think 6X, it does some nice sounding audio CD's. :evil1:

I have always used the slowest write speeds in the past - no higher than 4X. Interesting to see you other guys have reported good results.

I guess that is why I stuck with tape for so long.

Thanks Sep. I may well take you up on your offer in the future.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable

I have a proprietary version that came with my BusLink (LiteOn) drives at the turn of the century, which I could use if I wamted to install one again (STILL GOING)... version 4.4.7.2

Roxio 5/6 always has to be patched on installation to get the kinks out but WMP does enough of it's fucnctions to skip it.

So YES, I have Senior Citizen software too.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Funny thing Nando - I have received some really great sounding discs. Phoenix members Miracle Mile & Glantoir have furnished me with CD-Rs that sound absolutely fine.

As I indictated above, perhaps the choice of media plays a bigger role than I had previously imagined.

I don't plan on messing about with CD-Rs again as optical disc technology is pretty much on the way out but I'd certainly be curious to see how that Pioneer of yours performs.
If the Pioneer performs to my liking, I will record a CD mix for you, Daren. I will patch the Pioneer CD recorder into my system to record from analog and digital sources just as I presently do using my MD recorder. It won't be for some time as I have three cassette mix tapes to complete first.

Nando.

Been doing it since '99. The disc to disc machines that do it in real time have been the best I've found but hell...even a lossless file burned to disc can sound pretty darn good.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Speaking of this, I'm out of CD-Rs, getting ready to give Lee my budget for the Christmas packages and I need some guitar based Christmas songs and not pop kitsch classics, so please sens some files, discs (CD, I have no MD player), as I mentioned in ANNOUNCEMENTS?

A better program would allow me to fix up those recordings or rip other formats again...HINT.

Sure, the Halloween fun house is now advertising on our radio stations but it's production time for Santa's overstuffed, loopy helper.

(Oh LOOOOOPY, it's your tubagoooo!)

PS I'd seriously have tried to grow a mustache for my avatar...no, the blonde.

Dazen1

If the Pioneer performs to my liking, I will record a CD mix for you, Daren. I will patch the Pioneer CD recorder into my system to record from analog and digital sources just as I presently do using my MD recorder. It won't be for some time as I have three cassette mix tapes to complete first.

Nando.
Please don't go to any trouble Nando. If and when you get around to using it, just report back on any differences between the copy and the original. (Thanks)

Does that Pioneer take any CD-R? Or do you specifically require CD-R Audio discs.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Please don't go to any trouble Nando. If and when you get around to using it, just report back on any differences between the copy and the original. (Thanks)

Does that Pioneer take any CD-R? Or do you specifically require CD-R Audio discs.
It will record on CD-R and CD-RW, not limited to CD-R Audio discs, at all. I cajoled Geri into buying it from Innovative Audio when Gordon called me to say an interesting Pioneer Elite component had just come in. She wants me to record CDs for her from my MiniDisc Masters. I haven't done that yet, but I've recorded a few cassettes for her to play in her car deck. She helps select many of my tracks for most of my Masters.

Nando.

Dazen1

It will record on CD-R and CD-RW, not limited to CD-R Audio discs, at all.
Being a consumer deck aimed at the audiophile, it should perform better than your standard CD burner in a PC.

Look forward to hearing more about this Pioneer in the future Nando.

Tagline
---
Any love for CD-R?
i use them all the time. some older CDPs, such as my 1987/1988 PIO PD-M90X 6-disc changer
and 1987/1989 PIO PD-91 require adjustment of the "FO. GA" (FOCUS GAIN) vari-pot on the main PCB before they will read CD-R optimally.
this procedure is stupidly easy to do with a cross-head (PHILIPS) precision screwdriver within a handful of seconds...