An Easter Egg for Vincenzo

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
OMG, That's simply WONDERFUL! Thank you wholeheartedly for this! :D

I was eating those tiny easter eggs without any surprises inside but, hey, THIS is the surprise! :)

Time to order the rechargeable battery... after evaluating a few different solutions, in the end I decided for a maybe overkill one but surely the most convenient to use and which, with the low power needed for the phono stage, it will last a lifetime:

Cheers,

Vincenzo.

A.N.T.

Journeyman
Tagline
Femtoamp- Volt- and Tape- nut.
Where are the transistors?
On the other side of the board ;) . There are only three MOSFETs per channel, the circuit is described on my website. The version for Vincenzo is called "Limited Edition", using different (no longer in production) devices, giving about 6dB lower noise than the BSS139 in the standard version, plus Black Gates on the output. This simple circuit (providing good components are used) can rival most solid state and valve phono stages, up to the very best. It is Class A single-ended zero feedback (except local) passive EQ circuit. It can be assembled for MM (as on the photos) or as MC (adding another low noise JFET per channel). A review of the Kora 3T Limited Edition MC is here.

I've stopped making these things about eight years ago, but made one now on Vincenzo's request. I have some boards and almost all components for a few more (including FETs and good polystyrene caps made with tin foil (not usual aluminium).

I personally use one MC Limited Edition and one MC prototype of the next generation phono (based on the Kora 3T but with a different EQ arrangement, still passive) which never made it into production...

Cheers

Alex

A.N.T.

Journeyman
Tagline
Femtoamp- Volt- and Tape- nut.
Time to order the rechargeable battery... after evaluating a few different solutions, in the end I decided for a maybe overkill one but surely the most convenient to use and which, with the low power needed for the phono stage, it will last a lifetime:
I would advise you to get a mains supply as well, just to keep the unit powered all the time. Black Gate caps need at least 300 hours run-in to sound good and keep improving further with time, a short interruption in not a problem but otherwise it is good to keep it on. The current consumption is about 30mA so it won't cost you much.

Cheers

Alex

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
yes @A.N.T. , will also get a supply to keep it always on (must keep it on forever? or, i.e., after a few months it can be powered off while not in use for listening? Are there any components which will wear out earlier if it will be always on 24/7 for years? ).
After all, it's not needed to be a fancy low noise supply, since I will use the battery while listening.

For those who wonder how this phono stage can sound good...
In the past, when Alex modified my own Technics RS-B965MF cassette deck, he recorded for me a couple cassettes with my just modified deck from his own vinyl setup.
These cassettes are easily the best sounding things I have here and, over the years, I was never able to match that kind of sound quality neither from vinyl nor from digital.
The recording deck is the exact same which recorded those cassettes then my "problem" was clearly that my source couldn't match what Alex used himself... hence the need to get one of his phono stages sooner or later.
Go figure, even when I make tape to tape copies of those cassettes recorded by Alex on my RS-B965MF, the cassette copy is still very hard to beat and can be used as a sound quality demonstration tape.
From now on, finally, I'll be able to pull out a comparable sound quality from my own vinyl LPs (save for any difference due to the needle/cartridge I am using here) which, evidently, are sounding below par since forever on this very ordinary phono stage integrated in my amplifier.
So, what was the weakest point of my own vinyl setup will become the strongest point. :)

Cheers,
Vince.

Last edited:

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
about a 24VDC power supply to always keep the phono stage on (when not listening to it), I wonder if this one might do the trick nicely.

https://www.thomann.de/it/electro_harmonix_24dc_100_eu_power_supply.htm

no idea if it's regulated or not... but it's rated as 24VDC 100mA, which is close enough.

actually, I am looking for an oldschool (is it called linear?) kind of power supply, I am not a fan of switching ones put near my HiFi system as I've noticed some of them can introduce faint unwanted noises.
For example, I have a table lamp with magnifier with leds and with a switching power supply which, when it's on, it does HEAVILY disturb (with a loud buzz/hum) the FM radio sound... then, IMHO, switching power supplies and HiFi system must stay as far as possible.

Or am I a bit paranoid? :D

Last edited:

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Or get a vintage switching power supply like in some late 70's early 80's Sony amps (TA-F60, TA-AX6...) ;)
Actually, I suspect that 24V 100mA one by Electro Harmonix, made for guitar pedal effects would be just OK.
I see they include it "in the box" with a few different EH guitar pedal effects, some of which draw 35mA, others 50mA, etc... then it might just be regulated and also well filtered, to not add noise in the guitar sound (the electric guitar-pedal effects signal chain is one of those applications which need clean power, even better the batteries)... and, as such, it won't add any disturbances in sharing the same 220V AC plugs board as my HiFi system.

It might also be not just terrible to supply the phono stage for listening purposes, in case I have some problems with the battery (or while the battery is recharging)... after all, the signal coming out of an electric guitar is a small one of just few millivolts, then comparable to the signal from a turntable MM cartridge or a passive microphone, then also guitar pedal effects need to be supplied with something quite clean.

Will just go with one of those... after all, a crappy switching one at 24V doesn't cost that much less, also because it seems they don't exist at less than 1 Ampere (which is well over than 20 times more than I need)... and, at this point, it worths to feed the phono stage with good food only. :cool:

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Actually, I suspect that 24V 100mA one by Electro Harmonix, made for guitar pedal effects would be just OK.
I see they include it "in the box" with a few different EH guitar pedal effects, some of which draw 35mA, others 50mA, etc... then it might just be regulated and also well filtered, to not add noise in the guitar sound (the electric guitar-pedal effects signal chain is one of those applications which need clean power, even better the batteries)... and, as such, it won't add any disturbances in sharing the same 220V AC plugs board as my HiFi system.

It might also be not just terrible to supply the phono stage for listening purposes, in case I have some problems with the battery (or while the battery is recharging)... after all, the signal coming out of an electric guitar is a small one of just few millivolts, then comparable to the signal from a turntable MM cartridge or a passive microphone, then also guitar pedal effects need to be supplied with something quite clean.

Will just go with one of those... after all, a crappy switching one at 24V doesn't cost that much less, also because it seems they don't exist at less than 1 Ampere (which is well over than 20 times more than I need)... and, at this point, it worths to feed the phono stage with good food only. :cool:
Hi Vince
Get one of these linear supplies for your project. Well made and no switcher drawbacks...

POWER ONE INTERNATIONAL SERIES HAA24-0.6-A POWER SUPPLY NEW | eBay

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
thanks for confirming my suspect that, relying on a linear supply (and the Electro Harmonix brand should be a warranty it's not a too bad one) is the way to go. :)

so, i will get that one and the rechargeable battery.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
thanks for confirming my suspect that, relying on a linear supply (and the Electro Harmonix brand should be a warranty it's not a too bad one) is the way to go. :)

so, i will get that one and the rechargeable battery.
Can't really go wrong with a linear supply Vince. Reliable, stone simple and very low noise.

You don't get power factor correction but most audiophiles do not care at all about that. Low noise is what we seek.

I use the Power One supplies in all my test rigs, they are very good quality.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Sure, but I will use the rechargeable battery to listen to the phono preamp and that linear supply would just be used to keep it powered on when not listening to it.... but it might still be used for listening purposes, though, then it's better to own a power supply which isn't just the cheapest/poorest choice out there.
Anyways, for the serious listening or while recording, I will always use the battery... no point in cutting corners while I am enjoying such a high quality device. :)

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
but... I had not noticed at all that link shared by Gepetto!
I guessed he was talking about that Electro Harmonix I was mentioning.

Anyways, about power supplies, you should consider I am in Italy then getting such one from USA is going to be as expensive than buying something specific for HiFi use just here... also, here we have 220V AC (but I see that one can be switched to European voltage).
That said, I'd need the power supply only to keep the preamp on... for the serious use there is the battery and nothing can beat the clean supply of a battery.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Of course, if I had going to totally avoid the battery and rely only on a power supply, I would likely buy a toroidal transformer (which I can also find here in a local shop) and DIY some high quality low noise circuit around it... but, in the end, I am going to buy the rechargeable battery and then I'd go with the cheapest option with a linear supply, to avoid keeping a switching one close to my system... and that Electro Harmonix one seems to be OK for this purpose. ;)

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
a Happy update, yesterday the "Easter Egg" arrived here! A wholehearted THANK YOU to Alex! :D

so, yesterday night I've managed to make the holes in the aluminium box and this night I've attached the transparent stickers I've made for it.
I couldn't wait for closing the box and finally give it a listen, so I didn't put too much care at the precision while cutting the stickers (will maybe replace them later because, how it is now, it has a slight "homemade" look, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, though :cool: ).

front.jpg

rear.jpg

finally it's on!

working.jpg

Very first impressions confirmed the few recomandations by Alex...
It's better to keep it on and, when you move the bias knob, it needs some time to accomodate to the new setting...
In fact, the first hour and half I've turned it on, I was continuously tweaking the bias knob while listening and it seemed it never sounded right...
Then, I've put back the bias knob at center position and, after a while, I've set half step CCW from center position (referring to the dots I've made around the bias knob) and left it there...
Meanwhile, it was on for a couple hours (not to forget it was off a few days for the shipment) and it started sounding NICE! :D
At the moment, it's about 3 hours it's on and it seems it's getting better and better (now, while writing, I am finally starting to hear the kind of bass and big sound I've heard for years on those cassettes Alex recorded for me, which I mentioned above at post #8 ).
Anyways, it's still running on a power supply and I need to solder the cables to attach it to the rechargeable battery (some work for tomorrow, now I just want to keep listening to it!).

Of course, still need some time to really appreciate it fully and I still don't know if the bias knob is tuned at the best point for this cartridge at now (most likely not?) but, just at first impressions, I can say I am just HAPPY ....
As a sidenote, I've put the needle on Supertramp's "Crime of the Century" and, just now, the start of the bass and drums near the beginning of "School" is just WOW! It's just THAT sound I had desired to get from my own LP for years! :cool::D:)

So, hearing how it's getting better with time, I will definitely keep it always on and can't wait to listen to it again tomorrow!

@A.N.T. : Dear Alex , you are just GREAT and, hey, my whole vinyl collection is telling me to THANK YOU... they never sounded so nice! :)

Cheers,

Vince.