ABBA is releasing a new record

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I heard of this last week and the band has five new songs to be released on their Voyage album.

One of the songs, "Don't Shut Me Down."

Nando.

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
Yes indeed, this is really good news! I already ordered the vinyl version on the ABBA site and i couldn't wait to have it here in November! This album seems very promising!

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Wow. Seems amazingly similar to the old stuff!

Not surprised, yet, I was hopeful the music would get a reboot as those lyrics imply for the singer…

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
There's no doubt about it, they've written some monumental songs, so full of energy that made it difficult to not get up and bop, but sadly this isn't one of them.
It's a 'safe' song. They could've done soooo much more.
Not knocking them, just sayin'.....

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Absolutely. When they released their old stuff the time was right for what they made. Now, they need something relevant for today.

It certainly sounds like them, and a older audience will embrace it, but he bulk of the 20-30 yo market will not be seeking this out.

Hopefully (for them) it is the “safe” release- the teaser, and other songs will be more innovative for them. That’s what I was hoping for.

There is no question of their musicality; however, I’m not interested in a modern release of songs they didn’t release in the 70’s- B-sides and/or I’ll fitting to the records if the time, and now have decided to regurgitate.

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
Yeh, I'm with you there Jim.
I'm running it through some Reverbs, adding a bit more Chorus effect and re-EQ'ing the bass to fix the kick drum a bit has made heaps of difference.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Saw something on this today. It seemed legit. I’m not a big fan but maybe some of you are.

And there’s a chance 40 years later they release something I really like!
Nah.. they didn’t really grab me either. The Disconet version of “Lay All Your Love On Me” that was played at the night clubs was hot, beyond that, eh…

I always thought “Dancing Queen” referred to drag queens…

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
In the 70s, Abba was on top of the pop charts. I still remember SOS fondly and cranked on a WOPL made by Perry, the Swedish pressing with the freaky witches cover kicked ass. I think its Polar Records?

Yeah, I am still breathing
What have you been up to, Ron?

Nando.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Dave Grohl said in an interview a day or so ago that he heard one of Abba's new songs and he said "I started crying"................ What a puss. I didn't think the new song was "Crying Material"

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Dave Grohl

And finally, I know you're a huge Abba fan. What did you think of their comeback?
Oh my god, I'm such a big Abba fan. When I saw that they were coming back and they had a record, I shot that link to 100 people I knew, then listened to the new song and wept like a baby. I cried like a baby. Oh man!
What about it moved you?
It almost sounded like time hadn't passed. Plus it was such a beautiful, romantic, melancholy, bitter-sweet retrospective. Ugh, it's amazing. Abba can do no wrong.
If they'd asked you to play drums…
Listen, I will get up and play drums at the opening of an envelope. Show me a drum set and I will sit down to it. So yes, I would play with Abba.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Yeah, but it's Dave Grohl.

What does Dave Weckl think of the new ABBA album? Or Dave Garibaldi?

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
What have you been up to, Ron?

Nando.
Hey Nando, just trying to get by. Eyes are still waiting for surgery, lungs are shot and the arthritis in my neck and lower back is many times unbearable. I still try to play guitar until the sciatica flares up. Thanks for asking