A Tape Surprise

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I was looking thru my ageing cassette collection the other day, looking for a particular one (didn't find it) and I came across this:

What do you think of that? I had no idea I had it.

Attachments

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think it was on one of those, that I did a Tapeheads traveling tape with. It worked fine but didn’t blow me away.

I belive this is one of Nando’s preferred tapes.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
The tape is good. One of my favourite Sony Type IV tapes is the Metal XR. That was when they were inexpensive to buy at $2 per tape for sealed ones. But that was about six or so years ago. Now, I like using inexpensive Type I tapes and eke the most performance I can out of them with a good 3-head deck.

I recently recorded a mix tape for Ivo (Primare) where I used a Sony SR 90 and used Dolby C NR.

20200405_091941.jpg
20200405_091913.jpg
20200420_130338 (1).jpg

Nando.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Metal SR and XR sound very similar to me. I'm glad I grabbed a factory case when they were $1-2 a tape. Only metal tapes I've ever used, I'm far too cheap to use "good" metal tapes

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
While we're on the topic of Sony tapes, anyone have any opinions on this Type I? I have 5 of them, alng with some random used TDKs - including a 110 minute MA - that I bought from a friend whose husband died.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Those work. I hadn't heard any negative reports on them, unlike SA railroading "chronic" problem (insert eye roll) and MA "chronic" white crap (insert other eye rolling). Actually I've not heard any problems with TDK D tapes either. (eyes not rolling)

Any tape can have problems, because they are antique, and we never know how they were stored. But those should be fine.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Looks like the 1995-1996 version of Sony HF. Okay, but not the best vintage of the HF series. Surprise yourself and give it a go in your Nakamichi, Bob.

Nando.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Sony marketed those cassettetes for quite a while so not crap. I used Sony HF C60's for tape for a month's long transfering project in the 1980's with good results. I've seen multiple styles of packaging graphics over the years but not the one in the photo.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Yeah, I've got a few Ds and have used them with success years ago.
I recall someone sending me a TDK D cassette, and I was both surprised and impressed at how much better it sounded compared to the old D's I had around the house. IIRC, I did an informal review of the tapes for the Phoenix forums, but I don't know how to find it now. Time was that old posts were easier to find...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
We used a lot of Ds in the late 80’s and 90’s to capture band rehearsals. Recorded on my Panasonic or my sisters (something or other) boom box. Hers was more rounded, 90’s vintage.

But the drug store Ds did the job, and still sound good decades later.

Rust never sleeps.

NavLinear

Elite-ist

Staff member
Agreed - that was a good review, Laz. Are you fooling around with cassette tapes, anymore?

Nando.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Tape is for losers.....unless loosing is everything, then I want tape too! Sometimes I set decks up for D and it isn't much different from the ancient UD-XLI in my stash of calibration tapes. I am so highly biased that I can't bring myself to use Sony tape anymore (their labels came off in the car) but the HF clear shells look OK.