You got tapes, please review/rate them now!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Christmas package recipients and more please feel free to add your contributions! If you'd like Jer we could sticky this or make it part of some review section.

Last edited:

mlucitt

The Antique Christmas was a great collection, I'd swear some of the Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye songs were coming from a 78 record!

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
We are playing the Christmas CD every day in the store. What a great playlist. Thank you so much.

As far as the tape reviews go, I am puzzled. I received a Scotch BX type I and a Sony UX-ES type II. Reading the note I was expecting Phoenix tape. What am I misunderstanding? Are we supposed to compare these to the phoenix tapes?

orange

Tagline
I only have four or five Phoenix tapes, two were traveling tapes.

No, these were MY PERSONAL STOCK. Please use them and report back for the sake of others, I decided to make it a participatory gift and this might help others decide what to buy and how much to spend.

I will offer no followup, your comments are your word.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Steven, thank you soooo much!! I have mucho experience with both the BASF Ferro Super type I, and the Scotch XS II, both are very nice tapes.

As you may know, my monster Teac deck is down with issues, I do have the backup Denon 790R (a great deck, ask Jerry). it has the auto shit I hate but, let's you fine tune the bias recording, and yeppers, the stu will push'em within an inch of they're lives :reindeer: and report back....I'm almost embarrassed to say what the first recording will be....my new BF 'Loves' Neil Diamond, his fetish is sickening to the stu :dark1:, Double Cd of "Hot August Night", I must say is a great recording, Neil is on the top of his game, recorded in 1972 at the Greek Theater in LA, the set is remastered from the original master tape, with Eric Labson at the mastering helm, pretty good vomit inducing stuff.. I am I said...I am I cried...

"The stage, she's the God-damnest woman you ever saw...." ~ Neil Diamond

I actually have the Lp of this somewhere, I'll try to find it for a shoot-out!!

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Guys,

Here is my review of the Christmas cassettes received as part of the great forum surprise package:

Tapes Received:
Sony, HiFi, Normal bias, 90 minute
Memorex, CrO2, 90 minute length
(photos attached)

Test System:
Pioneer SX-850 receiver
Onix CD3 CD player
Tascam 112B (my goto deck, used it for years, sounds good with most tape, tapes playback well on other decks)
EV S-200 speakers
Material - Wilkinsons - Here and Now (mix of musical material, acoustic, synth, nice bass, harmony vocals, slow and up tempo stuff, etc)

Memorex CrO2:
First impressions: The housing felt like those from drug store cassettes 3 packs that we never admit to buying at least once. The housing was also similar to many of typical pre-recorded cassettes early in the era.

The mechanics are very noisy especially when FF/Rew is performed.

This is a CrO2 tape so was expecting good results. The tape did ok in the high frequency area but the lows were not very pronounced, almost lacking at times. What surprised me is that the mid-range had a severe harshness normally associated with cheap CD players.

I played this back in the Yamaha 1020 (the deck I build from Larry's junk decks) and had the same experience as noted above.

For a CrO2 tape this one gets my thumbs down.

Sony HiFi:
First impression: I have several Sony tapes so intial expectations was that it would be similar and it was. The mechanics felt nice and none of the noisy FF/Rew experienced in the Memorex tape.

The taped performed well for a type I. The music was a bit compressed sounding and lacked the detailed high end as expected. I did not readjust the deck bias but likely this tape would have done even better with a minor tweak. The playback in the Yamaha 1020 was similar, very musical. For a type one tape this one performed on par with my Maxell and TDK's which I usually use. Thumps up for this one.

Thanks again to all for the Christmas surprise package.

Robert

Attachments

Last edited:
Tagline
---I like to Rock
I recieved two tapes a tdk type 1 D and a maxwell XL11 niether of which i have had a chance to try as of yet. Marantz 5030 needs work. Plan on getting the Rotel out and hooked up. Will let ya know then. Thank you so much though for the gifts. I enjoyed the reel and the cd's. Played the cd's Christmas day. I really enjoyed them as well as the family.

orange

Tagline
I'd review them but I never received any. Maybe next year. :lol:
Were you one who asked for no tape or didn't the Christmas package get there? I know I sent it, I sent them in bunches, to 3 continents and Ireland, Phoenix and non-Phoenix.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Were you one who asked for no tape or didn't the Christmas package get there? I know I sent it, I sent them in bunches, to 3 continents and Ireland, Phoenix and non-Phoenix.
I don't recall Orange. Don't worry about it. If you were only sending out Reel to Reel tapes I opted out of that one, since I don't have a RTR anymore.

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Two cassettes came to me (photo at the end) - a TDK D 90 and a Maxell UD II CD90. The R2R tape was with them, and I need to check out the deck - as I said originally, I don't know if it works. If not, I will be offering it to some other member. The Christmas CD was in there too, and I think we did listen to it.

Here's my cassette recording chain:

PS Audio Lambda transport
Sony DAS-702ES digital>analog converter
Arcam Delta 60 (used as a passive preamp)
Denon DRM-510 cassette deck

Here's my cassette playback chain:

Denon DRM-510 cassette deck
Arcam Delta 60 (used as a passive preamp)
Musical Fidelity X-10 V3
Cyrus Two/PSX integrated amp
Klipsch Heresy speakers

First, the TDK. I used TDK tapes a LOT back in the day, mostly AD tapes, for car use. Later, when I knew more about taping, I naturally went to SA's, even though I knew in my heart of hearts that the Maxell UDXL II tapes were better. In the years since, yes, the Maxells have held up better. Back to the "D" - it was packaged differently than I remember, and I remember it as a good, slightly-better-than-dictation-quality cassette. TDK, I think, said it was for general use. I never used them much. I recorded onto it one of my often-listened-to CD's, Nordic Roots 2, from NorthSide, a compilation of artists from that label. I recorded:

track 1 Wild Honey by Boot

track 2 Forest Maiden by Hedningarna

track 3 Schankheden/Terry Crehan's by SWAP

track 10 2 Sisters by Sorten Muld

They're all amazing bands. I recorded hot, clipping into the red zone quite a bit, and with Dolby OFF.

Playback was with Dolby OFF also.
Whoa! What is this stuff?! I never knew "D" could sound this good! I'm hearing playback which is almost (not quite) as good as the CD. Back in the day, if you followed the tape-makers recommendations, you went out and bought a cassette especially for recording from a CD. Now, this type I tape is rocking my world. It's quiet, dynamic, the whole audio spectrum is there - neither bass, midrange nor the high frequencies are lacking. I think I can hear some congestion, but if I were told this was an SA tape playing, I wouldn't question it. Wait a minute, now listening to "2 Sisters," where a lack of headroom is really showing up (why I recorded this track). That track has just amazing dynamics, and I can hear how the tape is pooping out. Too bad, but for the most part, especially with a lot of music being compressed these days, the "D" is very good. It's not for the purist, but a lot of folks will enjoy it. I almost forgot - mechanically, the tape is flawless - fast forward and rewind are slick and almost silent, and I suspect most of that noise came from the deck. I'm impressed.

Now for the Maxell UDII CD90. I always liked Maxells, but used TDK tapes more, and don't ask me why. I used a lot of other brands too, but few were up to the standards of these two. Ampex tapes sounded OK, but were mechanically miserable. The much-touted (by DAK) DAK tapes were a total waste of money -remember them? Happily, I bought few. I did use Maxells, though, and liked them. One nice thing about the Maxells is that the labels stayed in place - I have TDK tapes which shed their labels years ago. Like the "D," the UDII (I assume this tape has taken up the mantle of the excellent UDXL II) does not look like I remember it, and it's nice to know that tape technology did not stand still. Heck, I can remember when the cassette was ONLY a dictation medium. They've come far.

Now for the listen. Same levels, same Dolby OFF, same tracks. Compared to the "D," the Maxell is nicely fleshed out, notes are crisp and articulate, and there is more detail, lots more detail. This tape is very, very musical. I can pick individual instruments and voices out of a mix easily, and low-level detail is easy to pick out too. I can see way into the music with this tape. In a word: coherent. It's obvious that the Maxell is on a whole new level, but then this is a fairly premium tape - an unfair comparison with the "general use" TDK. I'd like to compare the present-day SA-descendant with this tape, but that is not what I was sent. The whole sound is there, and it is not too bright, just well-balanced. Yeah, I think I'd trade my whole stock of unrecorded SA's for some of these. I love this tape, and it's just as quiet mechanically as the TDK. Surely this is one of the best tapes I've ever used. Way to go, Maxell!

Hang on, still waiting for "2 Sisters" to come on...waiting...oh, nice, nice, it communicates both the SLAM! of the percussion and the delicate vocals of Ulla Bendixen's amazing voice. Yes, the tape version takes my breath away, and it may be BETTER the the CD. Is that possible?! I think we have a winnah!!

Attachments

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
For the record, I believe that is possibly c. 1991 D. Definitely? 90s. I understand it was very nice for a Type I by the late eighties.

Thanks for the reviews so far!

Stuwee, you have all the SAE stuff I gather, go for broke! I'm waiting!

More reviews and maybe the reel too, if you actually feel like re-recording it...???:blob7:

Maxell-LN

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Sony HiFi:
First impression: I have several Sony tapes so intial expectations was that it would be similar and it was. The mechanics felt nice and none of the noisy FF/Rew experienced in the Memorex tape.

The taped performed well for a type I. The music was a bit compressed sounding and lacked the detailed high end as expected. I did not readjust the deck bias but likely this tape would have done even better with a minor tweak. The playback in the Yamaha 1020 was similar, very musical. For a type one tape this one performed on par with my Maxell and TDK's which I usually use. Thumps up for this one.

Thanks again to all for the Christmas surprise package.

Robert
Hey rip,

I've just picked three bricks of these off ebay last week, an they have arrived nice and safe a few days ago in Sunny Sydney town.

I've opened one up, from the lot of 24 I got, and recorded Mike Oldfield "Shadow on the wall" as a test track on my Sony TC FX211.

For a modern day ferric, this tape to me sounded fantastic, much more defined then the available TDK Bs, TDK Ds, and Sony EF's we have here in Australia. Wile it is nowhere as close as my all time favourite ferric TDK AD, to me this tape was rather clean sounding with no azimuth issues (caused from poor tape pack winding), and the response was nice and detailed. This is considering I'm keeping the input at 0db. I did try to push it to +2db on the dry take to see how it would go, and the saturation point was not too noticable. I'm impressed with this particular tape, and no doubt will use more of them.

orange

Tagline
Fancy meeting you, Mark and hello!

Steven aka Bezel too!

PS This thread was for the cassettes I sent with last year's Christmas packages but not many are actually reviewing there gifts anymore so have ai it!

Last edited: