a question about amp conections

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
I just got a new to me crown 800 csl and I would like to know how to set it up? Should I use f-rca to m-1/4'' adapters or a rca to xlr converter box
thanks

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
here are some specs.
Power8 Ohm Stereo—320W/Ch4 Ohm Stereo—400W/Ch8 Ohm Bridge Mono—965W4 Ohm Parallel Mono—680W2 Ohm Parallel Mono—955W
Frequency Response: ±0.1dB from 20 Hz to 20 kHz at 1Watt.
Phase Response: ±10° from 10 Hz to 20 kHz at 1 Watt.Signal to Noise Ratio: Better than 105 dB (A-weighted)below max. average power from 20 Hz to 20 kHz.Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): <0.05% from 20 Hz to1 kHz, increasing linearly to 0.1% at 20 kHz at 170W.I.M. Distortion: <0.05% from 10 milliwatts to 170W at 26dB gain.Slew Rate: >13V per microsecond.Damping Factor: >1000 from 10 Hz to 400 Hz.DC Offset: <10 millivolts

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
The manual says the inputs are 1/4" balanced phone jacks. Typically, that means the 1/4" plugs look like a stereo plug, but; the tip is signal +, the ring is signal -, and the sleeve is signal ground. If you plug a left or right mono (unbalanced) plug into one of the the balanced jacks, it will defeat the balance circuitry and the result will be one half of your input into that channel of the amplifier. There are converters that will do this for you, such as this one: https://www.edcorusa.com/s2m-e

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
The manual says the inputs are 1/4" balanced phone jacks. Typically, that means the 1/4" plugs look like a stereo plug, but; the tip is signal +, the ring is signal -, and the sleeve is signal ground. If you plug a left or right mono (unbalanced) plug into one of the the balanced jacks, it will defeat the balance circuitry and the result will be one half of your input into that channel of the amplifier. There are converters that will do this for you, such as this one: https://www.edcorusa.com/s2m-e
you are right but I have one with both 1/4'' and xlr inputs. I think some had both and some only had the 1/4''.
here is the link as you can see it has xlr inputs https://www.ebay.com/itm/CROWN-800-...585046&hash=item1cc899814b:g:SooAAOSwwgBcVNSy I got mine it came from a lot of 37 amps
also some of these amp had a 3 different input gain settings and some only had 2. the 3 are .775 1.4 and 26db the 2 are .775 and 26db
I was thinking of one of these

https://www.parts-express.com/rolls...d-unbalanced-converter-35mm-rca-xlr--245-1062

https://www.parts-express.com/art-cleanboxpro-stereo-balanced-unbalanced-converter--245-868

mlucitt

Sweet, you amp has the wiring diagrams right on the back. The .775 Volts gain setting will be very sensitive to a typical pre-amplifier output. I would select 1.4 Volts, or 26db if you only have 2 options.

Either one of those boxes will work for you and allow you to leave the amp stock for better resale.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
from what I read if it is the 2 setting one I have to use .775 or 26db. I have not seen the amp yet. it is at a friends house hope mine is the one with 3 setting for the input selector cause I would like to use the 1.4 setting. my preamp has a 1V output. I think that would be a good match and the converter box has knobs for ajusting
I had read a youtube comment where some one was complaining about poor out from their amp and was just running adapter plugs and some one said that you need to use a converter box like the one you linked or the 2
I linked cause most home preamps can not drive pro amp very well

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
this if from the manual

Internal Controls: A three-position switch selects 0.775V,1.4V, or 26 dB voltage gain input sensitivity (all unitsmanufactured with D 7911-7 main module or later;earlier models only allowed for 0.775V or 26 dB ga

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
here is the comment that was left to to the guy that was complaining about his amp

i have the crown xls 1000, i first used rca inputs from a computer i had the same issue as you it lacked power but its not ment for consumer grade voltage so i bought a Rolls MB15b ProMatch Balanced/Unbalanced Converter 3.5mm/RCA/XLR , it was a totally different amp so much power, hope this helps someone

I found this this video to be helpful as well

mlucitt

Yes, the guy with the XLS 1000 was only getting half power through that connection. It was the + or the - and ground. Of course it will sound lame. The Clean box contains a transformer that has + and - connections on one side of the transformer, and signal and ground connections on the other side of the transformer. There is also likely a circuit to maintain the same impedance on both the input and the output to ensure the signal level does not change going through the box.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
well I got lucky I got the modle with 3 setting switch and not the 2 setting switch. tryed it out unbalanced and it was ok. I know it will be a lot better once I get my converter box. only bad thing is the fan is super loud.

mlucitt

Can you clean the fan blades, might help. If the bearings are squealing, the fan motor is not long for this world. I have had luck with some by putting a drop of light oil on the shaft if you can get to it. Many of the boxer fans are completely sealed, so you would be out of luck. A new fan is the only option in that case. But you can look at the fan or measure the supply voltage. That and the dimensions can get you a generic fan for replacement.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
the fan blades was cleaned. I am planing to oil it the noise is not a problem with the fan it is just that loud. this is the inside this is not my amp the pic is from google

I would like to change the fan at some point if it can be done 1556418838933.png

mlucitt

It looks like the fan is 120V and just evacuating air out of the chassis, not the most efficient use of a fan, but easy to design and build. You have plenty of room to work with. I believe a 4" or 5" pancake or vane-axial fan will work. For the rear of my amp, I wired (2) 120V fans in series. They ran half speed, but moved the same amount of air as one fan while being much quieter.

Your fan may also be temperature controlled, a nice feature, but it could mean the fan is a proprietary part. If that is the case, you can replace it easily with a full-time fan.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
it is a full time fan and it is most likely proprietary it is used in many of their serieses. agree it is a bad design air gets sucked in from the front and blown out the sides at least it has an intake filter. as for bing 120v I am do not know I think it is ac that has been step down cause of the small transformer could be wrong though.

pat

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Music Lover
I just got a new to me crown 800 csl and I would like to know how to set it up? Should I use f-rca to m-1/4'' adapters or a rca to xlr converter box
thanks
use a 1/4'' mono jack and all will be fine the 1/4'' input is both ballanced and unballanced both mono and stereo(trs) are compatable with this input

pat

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Music Lover
im new at this and i didnt graduate high school i didnt relize i was up for such a challangeeeee i am realy here to find out if anybody can help with my pre amp noise if you would like to meet sometime and have a beer i might seem like a normal kinda guy i will try to pay closer attention to the posts please forgive my ignorance pat

pat

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Music Lover
i felt the true answer was never addresed matching devices is not the correct answer for a unballenced connection to a power amp of any make or model

pat

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Music Lover
but please dont take my advise there are many differnt writings out ther on this subject dont jump on the first answer offered up !!!!