A Bad Week

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Well, I saw the grass catch almost as soon as it happened. I lit two kitchen bags in an empty 50 gallon barrel. Ground damp, smoke straight up, I'm golden. Out of nowhere the wind comes up 7 it was the leftovers from fall hay cutting that lit off. I beat on it with a shovel for a half an hour trying to save the barn & house, afraid to leave to go call for help. Once it was past my buildings. I went up to the house & told Marla to call neighbors & FD. Then went back to work. The volunteer Fire guy's were all busy at another fire. To bad so sad!
By the time a water truck & firemen showed up from a neighboring community, the fire was into my woods over there. I was up all night dipping water from a pond & pouring on hot spots. I had to cut down a couple hollow trees that were burning inside.
Next time I burn trash, I will be standing in the pouring rain!! Holding a garden hose!

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I'm glad it was just the field & woods. It's a pretty helpless feeling when your told the fire dept is not coming for awhile.
Those dry cedar trees suuuure make a big fireball!
I will definatley be donating to the volunteer FD's fundraisers. It was the guy's from Rover that showed up first. Rover is around 12 miles away. All they have is a trap club & fire barn. Our city of 700 people is like a metropolis around these parts.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I'm glad it was just the field & woods. It's a pretty helpless feeling when your told the fire dept is not coming for awhile.
Those dry cedar trees suuuure make a big fireball!
I will definatley be donating to the volunteer FD's fundraisers. It was the guy's from Rover that showed up first. Rover is around 12 miles away. All they have is a trap club & fire barn. Our city of 700 people is like a metropolis around these parts.
You must have had a really dry winter. Glad to know it only took vegetation.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Will Cali ever be prepared to adequately respond to Fire Storms or even come close to preventing fires from turning into wild-ass "storms"?

If you listen to Moonbeam ... you'd think it's the new normal... and that's coming from the 5th largest economy in the WORLD !

Give it a few years and Newsom and the legislature will impose some new law for ranch owners - and the like - to install a Cali approved outdoor sprinkler systems.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Gotta have water for that......Cali seems so screwed up in so many ways. It's pretty sad, cause it was a magical place to grow up in in late 60's and early 70's Riverside...

BlazeES

Tagline
---
......Cali seems so screwed up in so many ways. It's pretty sad, cause it was a magical place to grow up in in late 60's and early 70's Riverside...
Yep. The wife and I tell everyone was meet 'down here' that California was once a very cool place to live and thrive, even with all it's smallish quirks. Then it started going seriously off-the-rails.
Now it's damn near Hawaii expensive without all the Hawaii perks.

The 80's and 90's weren't so bad while there was some semblance of balanced ideas & politics still in play.
Come the 2000's, it went full-on mental.

Last edited:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Sorry to hear about the fire man. We have a lot of wild fires going here in Ontario as I type this. Last time I was up north to the fishing hole the skyline was gray and the smell of smoke reached the far parts of the lake. We managed to get off the water about 15 minutes before they closed the access to the highway from the lake. Fire fighters had the road when we passed. While the fires still rage on my brother is already up there and im headed up for a week at a cottage a friend of his "loaned" us for some work offered to him. My uncle from the north says they smell and see smoke 100km from the fires. Rain has been dismal up there and winds have been spreading it. My 2 older kids are working on the Native Reserve for the summer as students and almost had to evacuate a week back. Heavy smoke and ash falling on the island. 16 more fires popped up in the last couple days. Almost 70 wild fires burning in the province currently. Cant let that keep me from fishing and enjoying a good time out. Take care and stay safe all.