700 Series II Clair Originality

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
If I understood Ed correctly, they didn't make Clair 400's... Although I could glue a Clair 700 II face on there... WHY??? who knows.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
hi
Here is Przem's write up in a pdf

View attachment 22823
In Przem write up, page 8 in modifications, he suggest "Installing reservoir electrolytic caps" (4.7uf 35V) in parallel with D1 and D2). Being these are Zener diodes, is the Negative side of the cap going to attach to the anode (non banded end) being that is the ground point??
I know depending on the circuit, it could actually be the other way around.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Maybe I'll revisit the backplane replacement. It is a lot of work too though. Total rewire of the whole chassis... Kinda kills the originality of these. IDK......
If you are considering any work to the existing back plain then Please have alook [ at this bulletin re upgrade pl36 series ll to full complementary set up

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
^^^^^ Ed mentioned to me that the service bulletins have lots of errors. The pictures you uploaded don't open big enough to see any detail also, they are like 2 inches big LOL

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
^^^^^ Ed mentioned to me that the service bulletins have lots of errors. The pictures you uploaded don't open big enough to see any detail also, they are like 2 inches big LOL
I have reposted it

I am sure that Denis would agree with me that Size does matter!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
In Przem write up, page 8 in modifications, he suggest "Installing reservoir electrolytic caps" (4.7uf 35V) in parallel with D1 and D2). Being these are Zener diodes, is the Negative side of the cap going to attach to the anode (non banded end) being that is the ground point??
Did you see this question? Just wondering.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Very NICE. Still asking the cap question.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---

I have not seen this done

If we do not get any other input I will email Przem and ask him for more details

Lee should have an opinion as he was part of those threads I posted links to

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

The cap plus should be on the banded (cathode) end of the zener diode. For the positive side regulator, this banded cathode side is the plus voltage. For the negative side regulator, this banded cathode side is attached to ground. Either way, the band is where you put the capacitor anode (positive side)

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
So while we are asking Questions

What is the reason for the change of the Dropper Resistors on Phase Linear Control Boards R1, R2 from 2.7K/5W to 7.5K/5W when changing the op amp lf356 to lf351

Both these op amps are 15 volt units and similar min max voltages?

Is the current draw less with one thus the different resistance?

Please enlighten me.
thanks
glen

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
So while we are asking Questions

What is the reason for the change of the Dropper Resistors on Phase Linear Control Boards R1, R2 from 2.7K/5W to 7.5K/5W when changing the op amp lf356 to lf351

Both these op amps are 15 volt units and similar min max voltages?

Is the current draw less with one thus the different resistance?

Please enlighten me.
thanks
glen
Lower supply current requirements for the LF351 than the original LF356 plus they originally overprovisioned the necessary supply current needs of the LF356 which resulted in PC boards that turned brown at the connection points and ruined the etch from the heat dissipated by the original dropping resistor. Common problem on that PL36 board.